Wednesday 6 May 2015

2 4 1 or 1 in 2, but not a BOGOFf!



5/6 May

We had a visit from Diane, one of our neighbours yesterday. She came around to tell us about a place she found last week where they are supposed to sell large bags of meal worms for a cheap price. This place is in or near the village of Shenton, across the border in Leicestershire. Her directions were a tad vague but I do know where Shenton is at least. We decided to give it a go today but forgot that Jan had a dentist appointment at midday today, so that has delayed us a wee bit. Hopefully though we will be going this afternoon when Jan gets back here; or at least, we will if the weather is OK. Right now we have very high winds and showers. The showers we expected but not the winds. I need to get my hair cut before we go as well and that is top priority really. How I used to get on with it being long for so many years I just don’t know.

Another interesting film the other day that we recorded was Monsters. No big names in it and all done with a budget of just $500,000, yet it deserves to be seen more. There’s a follow up in cinemas right now apparently and we’re looking forward to seeing that too. There’s a lot of these low budget films about these days. A few years ago we bought a DVD about Warwickshire made by a guy who was raising cash for a major film. That film is now out and is the new version of Godzilla. My thoughts on seeing it were, he shouldn’t have bothered! I could clearly see bits borrowed (shall we say), from other better movies. There seemed to be little new in it at all. One of the problems with a low budget I suppose.

Three days to wait; three days to find out if we are going be getting hammered by the blues or sold down the river by the reds. Not much of choice is it folks. I’m still not sure how I will vote on Thursday but the likely outcome for me will be voting red, not cos I think they are the better but simply because I am fed-up of the continual cuts and hammering by the blues. As I say, we’ll see come Thursday.

***
Well, I began this yesterday but didn’t get to finish it; so now you have two days’ worth in one go. Sorry about that.

This morning I took our recycling bag out to the main bin the council has provided for all the flats, and for once it wasn’t overflowing with stuff. But that’s not what struck as being daft, or at the very least, strange. The contractors are getting on with removing the old tiles from the outside of the third block of flats. OK, fine. Those tiles contain asbestos so removing them requires the works to wear face masks. That isn’t daft of course, but what about the residents? They haven’t been given any face masks. What happens to us in regards to the asbestos?

I saw something similar where health and safety rules looked stupid before in town. Barclays Bank was having work done inside; H&S deemed it to be a work site and demanded that the contractors wore helmets. And yet while all that was going on, just a few feet away customers were queueing up at the tills – without hard hats! Now that really was daft.

Part of the reason I didn’t finish this yesterday was that in the afternoon we went off out to try to find that place Diane told us about. Well, it was a nice ride out at least, but we didn’t find the place. Like I said above I know where Shenton is so that’s where I headed for. No chance, but I did take a different route. So I headed bag to the A5 and took the route she said; still no good. After that it was off to Asda for the shopping, then back home. Jan was out last night so I sat and watched the updated version of War of the Worlds. I like that one but prefer the original one … yes I know, sad … … …

There is little doubt in my mind that I am a careless sod. Why? Well, just think of all the time I have said that I have lost something. My walking stick went diffy on me cos I left it at Asda; I thought it would be gone for good. Jan went in for something and asked, and came home with it. Lucky me eh? Not now I’m not! My Nikon Coolpix 6000 is now missing. I stopped looking for it when I had an idea as to where it was. I later looked and it wasn’t there. See … careless! But maybe not; Jan has just found it in one of her bags. Anyway …

This is what brought that bit up …

Have you seen these being displayed/advertised? I fancied one but thought they were pricey; Jan thought differently and bought me one. I’ve used maybe 4 or 5 times and have now stopped doing so. Why? Several reasons; 1; the base is very small and makes it unsteady when full; 2; it gets very hot; and 3; it’s too heavy to lift without a handle, one of those mounting brackets on longer lenses would work fine.

So today’s proper photo then … 

one of the bird collection at Pensthorpe.

And today’s funny …

As he got his diaper changed, Daniel looked down and said, 
“I have a wee-wee. Daddy has 
a wee-wee.”  “That’s right,” said his mother. “That’s because you’re both boys. Do you know what 
mommies have? Daniel did: “Earrings.”      

No comments:

Post a Comment