Saturday 16 May 2015

Remembering your writting?



16 May   

We didn’t wake up this morning until turned 11.00 – yet again! This causes us to be out of sorts for the rest of the day though and it doesn’t do us any good at all. As it is, we have no plans for going out today anyway and the only bits we need to do is a free small jobs around the house. I got a large braising steak out of the freezer the other day and I was going to do it for today, but I’d forgotten it, so now I will do it tomorrow.   

And so we are clear of council workers for the time being, but having said that, the guys building the scaffold for tile removers have piled up loads of kit ready for starting on our block next week. I have no idea as to when it’s all going to be done and dusted though. They started removing the roof tile opposite us but it looks as if they are going to have to remove those on the walls once the roof is cleared. It seems all rather strange to me. Ah well …

OK, I posted something on here that I had written a couple of years ago, cos I haven’t been able to think of a way to take it further. The other day I started reading a new one on me Kindle; it’s called Rise of the Dragons, part of a series called Kings and Sorcerers, by Morgan Rice. Well, it’s got me thinking about Arathisa and how I can take it on. A number of my FaceBook friends said not to give it away, with one of them saying it was my world and it should me who writes about it. That person has a wise head on shoulders, thankfully. It has helped me at least.

When I write I also add two more pages to folder; 1, is a list of characters; 2, is a time-line with the page numbers on it. I do both so I can keep an eye on who is doing what and where they doing it. But I got to wonder about other writers; take Stephen King for example. He has at least 41 titles to his name as well as a few collections of short stories and two non-fiction books, I’ve read one of them, On Writing. If I didn’t keep the timeline/page count document going, I’m concerned that I might forget something totally and repeat it what I have already written. So what about others? Do they remember the details in their works, or just the story line?

There’s a reason for that question. When I began writing the new Fred Copper story, I start it off with two of the characters get involved in a really bad traffic collision, which leaves one of the in hospital in coma. It then struck me that I had used another big crash in my first book The Mission. I also have another two story line out lines where big road crashes happen.  It seems to me that it could be a very easy way to produce a few thousand words that really are just padding out and not really adding to the story line, certainly in the two outline stories. No writer will want to be seen as being repetitive I’m sure, and neither do I. That’s part of the reason why I can’t seem to get on with that Fred Copper story I think.

Today’s photo … 

Part of the Bullring and Selfridges store, Brum.

And today’s funny is from the Sage …

 A teacher asks her class "Can anyone tell me the name of Robin Hood's girlfriend?"
Little Johnny raises his hand and says "Yes miss it's Trudy Glen"
No Johnny she replies, it's Maid Marion.
But Miss what about the song? Robin Hood, Robin Hood riding Trudy Glen.

No comments:

Post a Comment