Monday 29 August 2016

Non-visible wounds +++


29 August


I really don’t know why we bother making any sort of plans at all; we are now staying in today, not going to Bradgate. I may now go off into town on me scooter instead, I say ‘may’ cos who knows what will happen in five minutes!!!


The Black Dog Tribe, is a Facebook group I’m part of. Run the charity SANE, it’s one of a number of groups aimed at support folks with mental illness. A number of time a day it posts support and educational ideas on their page. One that caught my attention yesterday included the words, ‘not all wounds are visible’. How very true they are too! I still hurt when I remember the words of my primary school headmaster when he wrote me off at the age 11 the year I was due to take the 11+ exam.


Of course, I didn’t pass it, but I do wonder how much that comment played in my failure. Even now-a-days when I sit and look at my graduation photo on our wall, the words come back at me and sting. It makes me wonder just how many others live with such hurts hidden away inside them. Victims of abuse of any type live for years with the effects their early life had on them. Even as adults some of us have done things we may not be proud of that come back and haunt us. In my case it’s not listening to others when they tried to get me to get my weight down and cut back on the booze. I’m now a 67-year-old, half crippled Type 2 diabetic who wonders where it all went wrong, and why?     


Eating and boozing were my biggest problems. Why have one cake when I can have two? Why have just one pint when there’s time for a second? Why have just one doughnut with white icing and sprinkles on top, when there’s a box of 12. That happened just yesterday and I ended up having three of them, (Kile had three too but he can hide it, I can’t). Even so, I did really pig out yesterday and I’m still stuffed. I do know what has caused all of the greed but it’s not something that I am prepared to share on a public forum.


According to MSN there’s a hurricane heading our way from off the West Indies and it will probably strike us on 3 September. Why does that date ring a bell; oh yes, of course, that same day in 1939 saw the start of WW2. We weather that one folks, I’m sure with a little forethought we will weather this one too – that is, if it ever gets here. It could be that yanky forecasters are as bad as our own and have got it entire wrong. Then authorities wonder why so many folks don’t take forecasts seriously.


It’s the same with the motorway matrix signs isn’t it? How many times have you driven down a motorway and the signs are flashing showing a lower speed limit and a closed lane? We have quite often. Yet after a couple of miles, right where the holdup is supposed to be, there’s nothing. Some moron had forgotten to alter the signs. That’s why so many drivers ignore them, even though there are speed cameras on some of the gantries these days. They speed along and can’t stop in time when on the odd occasion, they do come to the holdup, and perhaps make it a lot worse.


Today’s photo …


Godzilla, Godzilla …


Today’s funny …


 What do wives and police cars have in common?
They both make lots of noise to let you know when you've done something wrong.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment