Saturday 20 September 2014

VCs, scooters and goodbye



29 September

I’m sat here trying to decide if I fancy a ride into town today; yes I know, it’s a hard to decide isn’t it. Jan is off to churchy thing this afternoon and I shall more than likely go off to town anyway. I’ve just sat and sorted out my latest Nikon 5200 photos; out of 44 images, I have eight that are worthwhile. A run into town should hopefully help with that.

Alec Salmond has stood down as First Minister and leader of the SNP. He didn’t have any choice really did he? An independent Scotland was his main point in being in politics in the first place. Now that has been reject, he will hopefully fade into the back ground of Scotland and the United Kingdom. Personally though, I feel that the Scots have made the right choice. Of course, this whole issue has thrown up a lot of additional issues that are going to be a sod to sort out.  

Jan and I have been watching Under the Dome, the series that’s on telly just lately. I then noticed it was based on a Stephen King book. Earlier this week I managed to remember to get the book on Kindle and I’ve started reading it. Oh dear … I’m well aware that films and telly series don’t follow books exactly and leave quite a bit out. But even after just about 30 pages the differences are massive so far. I shall finish it of course, why spend money for nowt.

At long last Jan’s scooter supply through British Legion has been collected. We had been storing it under the stairs in our block and both of us were a tad worried about it either going missing or being vandalised. We have been lucky, neither happened. This whole silly game with the suppliers hasn’t annoyed us enough to be put off the Legion, far from it, but I really do hope they will learn from it and change the supplier they use.

Saturday means history spot … The Victoria Cross is the main point today. In 1854 the Battle of Alma was fought during the Crimean War, and saw sic VCs won. Also today Guy Gibson the winner of a VC for leading the Dambusters raid, was killed on the return from a later raid.

A new photo from the eight I got sorted earlier … 

A goldfinch on the sunflower hearts.

Today’s funny …

 Bob was in a terrible motorcycle accident and his legs weren’t in great shape, to say the least. After a couple of weeks of therapy, it soon became clear to the Doctor that they were just pushing off the inevitable. Due however, to Bob’s frail condition, the Doctor was afraid to give him the bad news. Instead, he gave the sorry job to Bob’s wife of 40 years, hoping that she would know how to break the bad news to him ever so slowly and gently. “Honey”, said Bob’s wife Eva the next morning, “I’ve got good news and bad news, which one would you like to hear first?” Bob, always in a morbid state, responded in his usual grumpy voice, “what do I care? Just give me the bad news!” “Well dear,” said Eva cupping Bob’s hand with her two hands, “I hate to have to tell you this, but it seems like your legs are going to have to be taken off.” Bob, barely able to hold his voice from cracking croaked out, “Eva, what’s the good news?” “The good news” said Eva happily, “is that that the gardener that was in here just before, said he may be interested in buying your slippers from you!”

No comments:

Post a Comment