Tuesday 9 September 2014

Smoking illnessness, TB and wasp zapping



9 September

Just one more small task to do now, informing the mineworkers pension admin. Mother was paid a small amount of pension from my dad’s time working in the pits. When I say small, I really do mean small! Even so, she still had to pay tax on it.

I’ve just been speaking to my cousin Christine and asked her how she was doing. Her hubby Carl had told me she was having a rough time just lately. Chris is struggling to breath, and I could hear that over the phone. Apparently she has fibrosis of the lungs, which is a smoking disease; the thing is, she has never smoked in her life. It’s all rather strange isn’t it?

Neither my brother Dave or me or have ever smoked, or have any smoking related illness. Yet mam and dad were very heavy smokers. Indeed, mam was going through 60+ a day before she stopped in 1996. Mam has just died at the age of 89, yet it isn’t smoking related. Why some folk are prone to such illnesses and others aren’t is a mystery isn’t it?

There was an article in one of the papers just lately that claimed there was a shortage of wasps about this year. Oh really? The shortage isn’t short enough for me! Jan is terrified of the damned things and although I don’t like them at all, I’d sooner not see any than see even one. I’m not even sure what their role is in life apart from producing g more stinging wasps. If they come anywhere near us, they get zapped PDQ. So what is the difference then in me zapping a wasp and the culling of badgers?
      
The wasp is just a pest to my mind; but so is the badger to a lot of farmers who have cattle with TB. Have you ever wondered where the cattle got the TB in the first place though? According to Andrew Marr in his BBC series on the history of Britain, it was us humans who gave TB to cattle. They must have spread it to badgers in the dropping in how and now there is a vicious circle between cattle and badgers. And so the badger is now paying the price. I wish that history could be more widely known!

For today’s photo then I offer a shot of a starling I have been trying to get for ages …



And today’s funny …

Apparently, someone in London gets stabbed every 52 seconds. Poor guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment