Monday 15 September 2014

Old documents, old photo and life long learning



15 September

Jan, Sam and I just got back from visiting the undertakers to see mother. Some time ago I went to see her and didn’t recognise her; today, she still didn’t look like my mother although I knew it was her.

Sometime ago one of my cousins went to see his mum before she was cremated and said to Dave, ‘She looked ever so well!’ Well, Dave and me cracked up with laughing; we both thought it was hilarious. I’m not so sure now. A few weeks ago Jan shot a short video of mother when she visited her. I managed to watch around 10 seconds of it before I gave up. Mother looked absolutely terrible in it. But today, I have to admit that she did indeed look a whole lot better than in that video. I can see now what my cousin meant.

Forty years ago I used to own a Morris Oxford, and a great car it was too, but not one I had ever really thought as one I would like. One car I did always fancy was a Ford Corsair. Well, I did have one of these, and it was a real old dog of a car. That went in for partX on Oxford. OK, forty years ago is a long, long time. So why on earth have we still got the HP agreement for the Oxford? We found it while we were sorting through our papers looking for mother’s will.

Jan found a clear plastic box that I had forgotten about. Inside there was a wodge of papers and old passbooks belong to Dave. They have now gone. We also found papers going to when we lived in Bed’th; that was eight years ago. Once this week is over and done with we will be having a mega sort out. I hate to think of what else we will find. However, as a historian (in an amateur way at least), I really do hate the idea of getting rid of old papers. But reality will prevail, we really do need to have a sort out.

WEATHER!!! As a good Englishman I’m always on a moan about the weather. Today Jan got a lot of washing done and pegged it out on the wash line. When we got back home this evening, most of the stuff was still wet. Now to the weather – there wasn’t a breath of wind out there. Over to one side we could see a lot of dark clouds, but even they weren’t moving. It was all so still and quiet. We have more washing on now and we’re hoping for better drying weather tomorrow.

And so … another photo of mother … 

No idea on the date but the bigger boy is  who we called Nutty (no idea why again), but the little one is I think Uncle Dick.

And a funny I suppose …

Funny Dance Refusal Cartoon

No comments:

Post a Comment