Tuesday 29 April 2014

Windows 8, PC World and just about getting there



29 April

If you haven't tried Windows 8 yet, think carefully before you do try it. Both of us have been having problems with it since we began transferring our lappy files onto the new machines. Part of the problem is that all the old icons and so on, have been removed, moved or hidden and finding them is hard. I didn't find out how to turn off my machine until this morning.

The other major issue is that we were advised to make a full copy of the Windows set-up before we began doing anything else. With that In mind we bought two new 32 gig USB sticks. However, trying to make that copy is a real nightmare. So, what I have done is to copy my photos and docs to a 500 gig spare drive I have here and I'm now copying them to the second hard disc partition on the new one. Once that is done I shall copy the smaller partition to the spare 500 gig disc drive.

Our problems began on Sunday afternoon actually. We arrived at PC World at 2.30pm; we left at 5.30pm! Why? Well, Jan's old Acer was bought there on a credit deal so we thought, why not put the two new ones on a credit deal?  So that is what we did. Oh dear ... the application went through was agreed very quickly by the credit company ... BUT, when they sent the paperwork through, they sent the wrong one. It took ages for us see where the error was. A quick phone call to the company and it was soon sorted out. Normal I would have been off out of there after so much hassle but I knew Jan was desperate for her new lappy, so I stuck with it. At least now they working; all we need to do now is to find out how to use them properly.

Now I'm feeling very professional seeing as I'm typing this on me lappy while copying my photos to the new one. Ah well ...

And speaking of photos ... here's a pussy cat ... 


... but I wouldn't suggest cuddling it.

And funny time ...

We had a power outage at the house this morning and my PC, laptop, TV, DVD, iPad & my new surround sound music system were all shut down.
Then I discovered that my iPhone battery was flat and to top it off it was raining outside, so I couldn't play golf.
I went into the kitchen to make coffee and then I remembered that this also needs power, so I sat and talked with my wife for a few hours.
She seems like a nice person.

No comments:

Post a Comment