Monday 14 April 2014

Kile, new story and heath and saftey crap



14 April

Kile has gone back home cos he was due to spend some time with his Nan from today. His Nan, Lesley, is a really nice lady who things the world of all her grandkids, and she has quite a lot of them. I suppose we are lucky in that really. I've heard of situations where the grandparents are at loggerheads over who is next to have the grandkids. Anyway, Kile has had a couple of days with us and will now spend time with Lesley before he comes back to us next week sometime.

While Jan was in the Hussey I sat in the Anker with my mind roaming all over the place, but mainly around Jan and her health. I finally slipped into a daydream which eventually brought back a dream I had one night a couple of years ago. So out came a small notebook and I began writing. Now it has been written up properly into first a draft state. As I sat I knew exactly where I want the story to go; but how I get there is going to fun to sort out!

So, there I was last night, having written up the new story and I started flicking through the notebook when I came across a note I made in 2012 would you believe. Jan and I had driven down to Minsmere RSPB site in Suffolk only to find out that the visitor centre was closed while it was being rebuilt. They had erected a couple of portacabins as a temporary replacement. But what struck me was the works who were running around. Most of them, if not all of them were wearing high-vis jackets and hard hats. Health and Safety demand that, but what of the volunteers and RSPB staff? They didn't wear the protective gear. And what of the visitors? They too were left to get on with their visit without the protection. I suppose it was all at our own risk then.

It struck me as being very odd really. Barclays bank here in Dorktown was having work done inside and all the contract workers were in the same sort of protective gear. Yet again bank staff and customers didn't have them, even though they were within feet of where the work was going on in a couple of places. To me it makes all this health and safety crap look just damned silly when the rules are applied in places where the public has access while the work is on-going. It strike me as being more rice-bowl justification yet again.

As it was, the visit to Minsmere was a nice sunny day and I got this shot ... 

while I was there. It was taken from aorund 15 feet of the worker.

And today's funny is ...

EASY-JET
Paddy calls EASY-JET to book a flight.
The operator asks, "How many people are flying with you?"
Paddy replies "I don't know! It's your bloody plane. "     

No comments:

Post a Comment