Friday 18 April 2014

Easter, pagans and indipendence



18 April


It's Good Friday today but I'm sure you don't need to be told that. On Sunday it's Easter Day; but where does the name Easter, come from? Well, it's hardly surprising to learn that the term is wrapped up in religious tradition and thought, but not just with the Christian faith. Wikipedia says,
"The modern English term Easter derives from the Old English word Ēastre or Ēostre.[nb 2]
The word Easter is held by some to have originally referred to the name of an Anglo-Saxon goddess, Ēostre.[nb 3] Easter is held by others to have originally referred to the name of a Babylonian goddess, Ishtar.[22] Others surmise that Eostre and Ishtar, pronounced identically, are two forms of the same word, referring to two forms of the same goddess, although the spelling differentiated through time and distance.[23]
In Greek and Latin, the Christian celebration was and is called Πάσχα, Pascha, words derived, through Aramaic, from the Hebrew term Pesach (פֶּסַח), known in English as Passover, which originally denoted the Jewish festival commemorating the story of the Exodus.[24][25] Already in the 50s of the 1st century, Paul, writing from Ephesus to the Christians in Corinth,[26] applied the term to Christ, and it is unlikely that the Ephesian and Corinthian Christians were the first to hear Exodus 12 interpreted as speaking about the death of Jesus, not just about the Jewish Passover ritual.[27] In most of the non-English speaking world, the feast is known by names derived from Greek and Latin Pascha.[4][28] " (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter; accessed 12:19, 18 April 2014).

I've copied that over from Wikipedia and is part of a fairly long article on and around the term. How accurate it is I don't really know. If it is borrowed from various pagan religions, it's hardly news is it? Christmas is another festival that has been hijacked from the pagan mid-winter celebrations. Even so, what is clear is that both of these celebrations mean everything to the Christian Church.

Jan and I don't have anmy special plans for this weekend seeing as the weather is likely to be pretty dire anyway. For me it will be a quiet time to sit and work on Shipshape. Jan will go to church on Sunday as usual and will hopefully get a lift home. She is slowly improving after her stroke; the main problems now are the swallowing and her right ankle/foot which is still feeling heavy and useable. We will both be pleased when that has improved enough to allow her to have the independence she is used to having. Driving is the one thing she misses most about things as they are.

On Wednesday I got a number of photos while in town, but quite a few of them were pretty useless, simply because my camera had turned to manual focus and I hadn't noticed it. Some of the crap shots were of Jan making a fuss of a pug puppy, a cracking little dog too. But one of the better shots was this one ... 

When I snapped this one, she had just finished a large fish and chip lunch from the chippy just around the corner. My concern here is that she is so large as such a young age. Of course, it's not really any concern of mine really but having to suffer the consequences of being lazy and greedy now, I wonder just how she will mange later - if she does have a later coming to her 
    

And the sage has spoken again ...



He stormed to his wife in the kitchen and announced, "From now on, you need to know that I am the man of this house and my word is Law.  You will prepare me a gourmet meal tonight, and when I'm done eating my meal, you will serve me a scrumptious dessert.  After dinner, you are going to go upstairs with me and we will have the kind of sex that I want!              

Afterwards, you are going to draw me a bath so I can relax.  You will wash my back and towel me dry and bring me my robe.  Then, you will massage my feet and hands.  Then tomorrow, guess who's going to dress me and comb my hair?"             
The wife replied, "The *******'  funeral director would be my first guess."

No comments:

Post a Comment