Friday 2 May 2014

Windows 8, MS Office and not at all happy with them!!!



2 May

Oh so slowly I am getting used to Windows 8, but we have had to bit the bullet and buy the new MS Office because none of my earlier copies would work on here. Well, let’s see how we get on. One thing I know I will have to do is to add all my own spellings again. Things like nowt, Dorktown and so on. The interface has changed a good bit though, and that take some to get used to. But to be honest, I am not at all impressed with Windows 8, or Microsoft and their new software usage rules.

Jan had a physio appointment yesterday morning so I wasn’t on here to finish this for some time, but at least I can make a start … as I did yesterday using OpenOffice. But I had to buy Office 365 and I’ve started again with that. As it was, we were out quite a long time and by the time we got home and had dinner we were both pretty well shattered.

I am currently reading the J K Rowling The Cuckoo’s Calling. One review I read about it during all the fuss and bother of how it came to be published, claimed that a textual analysis of the writing would show it up as being from Rowling. Well, I’m not so sure. Her vocabulary in the story seems to be all over the place, with course and crude words followed by words like glean, trivialities, voluminous, and abode. They don’t ‘jive’ as it were. The story itself is so-so I suppose and although I still don’t know who the bady is, I’m sure I’ve seen part of the ending already. I get the impression that the PI and his secretary will become an item at some point.

The front page of yesterday’s News had the story of an end to parking misery in various streets around town, including our street. The issue it seems is that people are parking in those street to avoid paying high parking fees in the town centre. Yes, I know, Dorktown is no different than so many other towns with that issue. But here’s thing … our street is a good 15-20 minute walk from the  town centre and there’s very few cars parked on the street at any time of day, and usually more than enough for everyone to park. OK, we might not be able to park outside our own home, but we can get in fairly close to it. Another issue raised is that there was supposed to have been some public consultation over it. We’ve been here for coming on two years now and we’ve not heard of any consultation going on.

Finding my photos on this new system is fun game too; but I have found this shot of a mute swan you might like.


Funny time …

Do you believe the good die young? They do, usually from loneliness.

No comments:

Post a Comment