Tuesday 2 April 2013

The sun, mental health, and a lot to do

2 April 2013

Dorktown is bathed in sunshine right now and as Jan has just said, "Hopefully the weather has turned for the better now."  I agree.

This morning I found out that Dorktown has an inpatient mental health hospital.  Yes, I knew that the old Manor Hospital off Manor Court Road (now called Avenue House), had been changed from a general to a mental health facility but I had no idea it had wards too.  This enlightenment has come about because the News is carrying a front page story about one of the two wards being closed down.  It seems that there is little need for two wards here in Dorktown, which I find that strange seeing as I see so many mentally ill people about the town.  I'm not being nasty with that comment but there does seem quite a few such people - and I'm not thinking of those who suffer from depression either.  At least there is support for those that need it.
The council is claiming that in the summer they will be announcing the signing of contracts for the new shopping development on Upper Abbey Street.  We will then be told which retailers will be included.  So we are getting more shops and stores opening even though we have at least ten empty units in the town centre as it is.  Maybe Avenue House should re-open the Stanley ward and maybe even opening a third one too.  It looks like the council needs to spend some time there!

I have a lot to do between now and next Sunday evening ready for going away on Monday morning.  Top of the list is to find that marriage certificate for gran and granddad Clark.  With that I should then be able to great granddad and so on.  Next job, well as I look for the certificate is make sure all the batteries are fully charged and the camera cards are clear and ready for use.  But perhaps the most important job is getting two bottles of Hobgoblin and three bottles of wine drunk ;-)))

So then, a photo ... 

a couple of tufted ducks.

And today's funny ...      

Two French paratroopers were seconded to the SAS for special training.
After the first day they met up in the bar. "Ah, Pierre ," asks one, "'ow 'av you been doing?"
"Merde!" answers Pierre . "I 'av 'ad ze most terrible day. Terrible! At seex zis morning I was woken by zis beeg 'airy sergeant. 'E dragged me out of bed and onto ze parade ground."
"And zen what 'appened?" enquired his mate.
"I will tell you what 'appened! 'E made me climb urp zis seely leetle platform five ft off ze ground and zen 'e said "Jurmp!"
"And did you jurmp?" asks his mate.
"I did not. I told 'im - 'I am a French paratrooper. I do not jurmp five feet. Eet is beneath my dignity'."
"And zen what 'appened?" asks his mate.
"Zen 'e made me climb urp zis seely leetle platform ten feet off ze ground, and 'e said "Jurmp."
"And did you jurmp?" asks his mate.
"I did not. I told 'im - 'I am a French paratrooper. I do not jurmp ten feet. Eet is beneath my dignity'."
"What 'appened zen?" asks his mate.
"Zen 'e made me climb urp zis rickety platform un 'undred feet above ze parade ground. 'E undid 'is trousers, took out zis enormous weely, and 'e said 'If you do not jurmp, I am going to steek zis right urp your burm!'"
"Sacre Bleu, mon ami" says his mate. "And did you jurmp?"
"A leetle, at ze beginning."

No comments:

Post a Comment