Friday 19 April 2013

Health issues, St Georges Day and bombers



19 April 2013

A busy day with GP and hospital visits took up most of yesterday.  From that lot I have at least two more visits to the GP to come, one for diabetic clinic and one a for follow up on the x-rays I had done.  Such is life I suppose ... ... ...

For the last 80 years the Scout movement within Dorktown and Bed'th have paraded through Bed'th on April 23, St Georges Day.  But this year the cops have said they can't afford the costs involved to close the roads and police the event any more due to cut backs.  Dorktown Council is saying exactly the same too.  How sad that such a worthwhile organisation can't do what has become a tradition for them.  So much for Daft Dave's' Big Society eh!

As an aside - I used to make my own wine years ago, and very nice it was too.  But one think I learned during this time was that 23 April, St Georges Day was the traditional day for picking dandelion heads for making dandelion wine.  
 
So the US is feeling the terror of bombings in its streets.  I'm not sure how I feel about it really.  Boston has a large Irish community of course and was one of the IRA's, if not the biggest area for donations to its cause.  That cause included the death of 21 people in Brum, the wrecking of Manchester city centre, the death of so many more people here in mainland UK and of course, over the water in Ulster.  Whatever, I do have sympathy for the families of those who have lost loved one and those who are badly injured.  There can be no excuse for such actions no matter who did it or why!  What it shows is that no nation is safe from these nut cases.

I've noticed something else about the US too.  9/11 saw three airplanes crash into buildings and a fourth one crashing into a field when the passengers took action to prevent it being crashed to whatever its target was.  Most of North America was shock over that attack; but can you imagine the fear a week or so later when yet another airplane came down on part of New York?  In that incident it was terrorist but a faulty airplane that caused it.  Yet again within days of a terrorist attack there is yet another major incident where a lot of folk have died and been injured.  This time is was a chemical plant in Texas.  It seems a tad odd to me does that but I don't know why really.  Is it really just coincidence - or am I reading too much into it? 

Jan has just arranged for us to have a water metre fitted.  I'm surprised she managed to do so really.  When we lived in the bungalow in Bed'th I asked about it and was told that the council would not allow any of its tenants to have one fitted.  The claim at that time was that Severn Trent Water wanted to fit metres to all properties but the council said 'No' because they knew that a lots of the tenants didn't want one and they were not going to force one on them.  Severn Trent said it was an all or none action and that was how it has stayed since then.  At least that is how I thought the situation was.  But June next door but one says they had one fitted and they have saved loads of money by doing so.  Like us there is just the two of them.  Whatever, they coming next Friday to fit a metre here.

Photo time ... 

a shark I snapped (sorry ;-))) ) in the aquarium in North Queensferry.  If you really want to, you can actually go for a swim with it and its mates.  I think I shall keep my feet well and truly dry!

And now for a funny ...

I was at a cash point yesterday when a little old lady asked if I could check her balance. Not being one to disappoint I pushed the old dear over.               

No comments:

Post a Comment