Saturday 20 April 2013

Odds and evens, bailed to kill and the plug is pulled - again!



20 April 2013

Like most streets in the UK our street has odd numbered houses on one side and even numbered houses on t'ther side.  So why is it that so many people in Dorktown seem unable to work out that little bit of information properly?  Yet again this morning I had to direct a nurse to #6.  I'd seen here walking backwards and forwards outside our place looking at the flat numbers on our wall and then across the road at the houses.  We've even had a nurse walk straight in here looking for someone else and had thought this was the right flat!  Ah well ... Dorktowners ... ... ...

Yesterday we had made plans that we would go off for a day's birding today.  We were both looking forward to it too; until just after 9 o'clock that is.  At that time I seemed to lose all my energy again.  It's like some has pulled my plug out of the socket and I just fold in on myself.  This morning I've phoned a place in Leamington I'd like to go to and we had said we would go this afternoon.  But guess what - the plug has been pulled yet again.  We will still be going though; there's a few items of photo-kit we could both do with down there that we want to look at to see if they would help us in shooting.

Front page of the Dorktown Telegraph this morning is a story of a 15 year old boy who broke into a house and stole the keys to a van before stealing it.  He then smashed into a lamp post and a car before losing control of the van and killing one of his friends.  He of course ran off but later handed himself in to the police.  Now here the rub ... he had been released on bail for one offence, reoffended and released a second time on bail, reoffended again and again released on bail.  The trial judge at Warwick Crown Court mentioned that those reasonable for the releasing on bail of the this lad should be searching their consciences now.  At long last someone in authority has had the balls to stand up and say something that has obviously been needed to be said for years.  Next step to make them responsible when things go wrong!

We had a good laugh yesterday afternoon.  Every other week we pick-up Kile's step sister Vicky and take to Kile's place for the weekend.  Jan will take her back on Sunday.  Anyway ... while I was away in Scotland I bought the kids a few presents, tee-shirts for Kile and Vicky and a cuddly toy Nessie for Billy.  But I also bought them all a plastic tumbler with a false bottom where there was a blue liquid with two small Nemo fish in it.  Billy loved them.  The laugh came when we watched him as he tried to get to pull the fish out.  In went his hand, out came his hand and up went the glass to see why he could get at the fish ... and so on.  His expression as he tried to work it out was a picture - or would have been if my Nikon had worked properly!  Anyway, it still a good laugh for us.

Captain James Cook is perhaps one of Britain's greatest explorers.  It today in 1770 that he discovered New South Wales.  I wonder what he would make of the place now?

I'm sure my regular readers will know well enough that I like real ale.  Well, I also like pubs with some character or point of interest in them.  It might that the pub is an old one; by old I mean hundreds of years.  Years ago I went into one in London to find it is the only pub on Oxford Street.  Whetherspoons have bought and converted a number of old buildings into thriving pubs.  I've been in one in North Wales where they had converted an old theatre.  Another one is a converted church.  Well, how about this then ... 

the ceiling of The Old Bell Inn in Edinburgh.

And funny time ...

A new middle east crisis erupted last night as Dubai Television was refused permission to broadcast 'The Flintstones'. A spokesman for the channel said....
'A claim was made that people in Dubai would not understand the humour, but we know for a fact that people in Abu Dhabi Do.'        

No comments:

Post a Comment