Saturday 6 April 2013

Rea ale fans, a dead king and a Pedigree



6 April 2013

Good morning one and all ... a nice bright day today for a Saturday and although I wasn't planning on going out today, I have to say I'm tempted.  And not just because it's nice and bright out there, no; it's because I am now fancying taking up a new hobby - beer ticking ... ... ...

Now some of you may be wondering what the hell I'm on about again.  Well, on 
Blighty last night I came across a programme called Beer Tickers, so I recorded it.  We've just sat and watched it this morning.  The object of the exercise is to travel around the country and from pub to pub to find new real ales and to drink a half of any that you haven't tried before and makes notes of each one.  It sounds like good fun and as a real ale lover I might have been up for the challenge years ago.  'Years ago' being the important words here.  Now I struggle to get through just three pints in a sitting.  One of the guys they interviewed for the show was called Mick the Tick.  He has a tick list of 70,000+ real ales he's tried.  The thought of all the ale makes me drunk but just think of the amount of money he's gone through!  Where does it all come from I wonder?

It's not just the money though for me, it's also about the time.  I have far too much to do as it is without taking on anything new.  Reading and writing, photography, family history, birding and watching films and documentaries take up so much time as it is.  To take on something else I would need to drop a couple of those.  But I enjoy all of them and I wouldn't know which to drop.  There again, maybe I don't have to ... I always have a camera with me and I snap the real les pump signs and have been doing that for some time now.  I currently have 567 such signs.  So I can increase that each time I go into a pub and it doesn't take up any more time and I don't have to drop one of my other hobbies either. 

Thanks to today's Telegraph I have another 'On this Day' item for you.  Today in 1199 England's King Richard I, Coeur de Lion was killed in Battle leaving the way for King John to take over.  And he was real a real nutcase!

Today's photo then ... 

is my all time favourite real ale.

And for a funny I offer ...

A Mexican, an Arab, and a Nottinghamshire Gal are in the same bar.
When the Mexican finishes his beer, he throws his glass in the air, pulls out his pistol, and
shoots the glass to pieces.   He says, 'In Mexico, our glasses are so cheap we don't need
to drink with the same one twice.'

The Arab, obviously impressed by this, drinks non-alcohol beer throws it into the air, pulls out his AK-47, and shoots the glass to pieces.  He says, 'In the Arab World, we have so much sand to make glasses that we don't need to drink with the same one twice either.'

The Nottinghamshire Gal,  picks up her beer, downs it in one gulp, throws the glass into the air, whips out her 45, and shoots the Mexican and the Arab. Catching her glass, setting it on the bar, and calling for a refill, she says, 'In Nottinghamshire, we have so many illegal immigrants that we don't have to drink with the same ones twice.'

No comments:

Post a Comment