Sunday 21 April 2013

Caught, a book mark and some wine



21 April 2013

Sunday morning and it's a nice bright sunny day here in Dorktown.  I like to watch the London Marathon on telly but this year it just doesn't peek my interest as much as normal, so now I will find something else for me to do.  Jan is off to church and will visit mother and take Vicky home afterwards so she will be gone till around 3pm now.  I might be able to get a bit of writing done today.  We'll see ... ... ...

So the Yanks have their man.  Well, as long as he doesn't snuff it in hospital they do.  But why on earth did two brothers suddenly take it in their heads to go and blow up the spectators of the Boston Marathon?  From what I heard on the news yesterday there is now political reason behind it so why do it?  I have feeling though that if he does get over being shot by the cops he'll be wishing he hadn't when he gets to a prison cell!  As far as I know Massachusetts still has the death sentence in place so I can see him spending a long time on death row once convicted.  Perhaps the only 'good' thing here is that only three people died in blasts.  It could have been oh so much worse couldn't it.

While Jan was away last week she met up with some friends who moved down to Devon and couple of years ago.  Martin and Pam have settled in well down there it seems and we will be calling in to see them one day while we're in Western for two weeks in June.  Anyway ... Martin showed Jan a book mark he was using.  When she got back here she order me one and it has replaced my old leather one.  Basically it's a strip of fairly thin plastic but it also has a dictionary programmed inside it.  Jan though it would be useful because every so often I keep mumbling about authors using silly words that no-one else knows and look them up in a small dic-n-ary I have beside the bed.  Now I don't have to and con do it all without getting out of bed.  It's a very useful device indeed!

When we moved back to Dorktown over four years ago when my brother died, we started sorting out all his crap he left for us - and there was a lot of it too!  Among it we found four bottles of white wine so I thought, "Oh very nice.  Thanks Dave!"  Well, that's what I thought when I found them.  Once I tried one of them I nearly choked on it.  It was really bad, ropey as hell and very sour tasting.  No Idea what caused it.  I wasn't going to risk it with the others so they were opened, poured away and bottles went into the recycling.  But we also found a fairly large bottle of champagne.  As with most thing Dave bought we have no idea why he bought it.  Anyway, I was saying to Jan yesterday that I don't have an clue when we were going to crack it open.  "Why not have it on my birthday in August?" she asked.  So that is what we are doing.  We've invited June and Tony next door but one as well as some of our family.  We'll be doing a barbie and we shall have a good time that day ... as long as we have good weather.  Looking forward to it now ... ... ...

Today's photo is one of mother ... 

It was taken on Christmas Day 2005 and when she saw it a print we had done if it she said, "Don't like it.  It makes look like an old woman."  Well, she was, even eight years ago.  It was then that we really began to realise just how bad her mental capacity was getting.  At that time she was sure she was only in her 50's. 

Today's funny is another one of a number of short ones I've found ...

My son's been asking me for a pet spider for his birthday, so I went to our local pet shop and they were £70!!! Sod to this, I thought, I can get one cheaper off the web.                     

No comments:

Post a Comment