Saturday 1 September 2012

Winter, trains and the lotto

1 September 2012

So now summer has officially ended, yet we've not had a summer yet have we?  Today Jan and I are hoping to get out down town on the scooters for an hour or two.  We need to go to the Pingles Leisure Centre to sort out new Passport to Leisure thingys so we can go swimming when the kids go back to school.  It's market day again and we want a look around at that too.  At least the forecast is for dry weather.  Tomorrow it's due to be dry but cloudy and we are heading for Regents Park and the zoo for the day.

Front page of the Dorktown Telegraph has the story of a plucky sex attack victim who bit her attacker so had he bled over her clothing thereby giving the cops DNA to convict the man.  He was given a poxy 2 1/2 year sentence - should have been minimum of 10 to my mind!  Now what else was there ... oh yes ...

An ad for a 7 night holiday to Venice, Florence and Rome for £499 each.  I could go for that if we had the dosh.  That one is part of a full page spread and to be honest I wouldn't mind any of them.  We will have the dosh for at least one of them later in the year.

Jan has been getting on at me to get 18 Months Later ready for publishing, or at to get a proof copy for us to go through.  Well, I finished off the chapter for Photo Finish and made a start on Web of Hate, the real title of 18 Months.  I want it to go out as a 5" X 8" paperback but having to format the damned thing for that size is a nightmare.  The font has been reduced to 11 point but the still keeps the Times New Roman style.  As it is there are gaps all the way through the template and I'm having to read it all through again so I can format it as I go.  I'm getting well caught up in the story too - daft really seeing as I know how it ends ;-)))

Seeing it's Saturday it's time for the Telegraph's 'On This Day' bit ...  only back to the 19th century today though, to 1859 Pullman carriages (or sleeping cars) were first introduce on the line between Bloomington and Chicago.  Now it's important that you remember that little nugget - you never know when it might come up in a pub quiz night ;-)))

I don't have a decent or interesting photo of a train but I do have this ... 

a novelty train which I got while we were in Mallorca a couple of years ago.

And so we come to the funny time ...

A blonde finds herself in serious trouble. Her business has gone bust and she's in dire financial straits. She's so desperate that she decides to ask God for help. She begins to Pray..."God, please help me. I've lost my business and if I
don't get some money, I'm going to lose my house as well. Please let me win the Lotto."
Lotto night comes, and somebody else wins it. She again prays..."God, Please let me win the Lotto! I've lost my business, my house and I'm Going to lose my car as well."
Lotto night comes and she still has no luck. Once again, she Prays..."My God, why have You forsaken me? I've lost my business, my House and my car. My children are starving. I don't often ask You for Help, and I have always been a good servant to You. PLEASE let me win The Lotto just this one time so I can get my life back in order."
Suddenly there is a blinding flash of light as the heavens open. The blonde is overwhelmed by the Voice of God Himself..."Sweetheart, work With Me on this... Buy a ticket !"         

No comments:

Post a Comment