Saturday 22 September 2012

Red, Green and a lynching



22 September 2012

I've just got back from a ride into town.  The market is very busy today but the little I saw didn't draw my attention enough to spend any dosh.  The reason for going into town was to visit Waterstones on Queens Road.  I was after an up to date OS map of Dorktown.  The other side of Weddington Road there are a number of pathways that lead to I don't know where.  The idea of the map is look them up.  Besides, I just like maps ;-)))  To my mind they are fascinating.

So what's on today then?  Front page of the Dorktown Telegraph carries  the story of an off-duty pregnant police officer and her hubby taking down and arresting a man threatening drivers with a six inch knife.  That story is very relevant for the whole country considering what happened in Manchester this week.  The two local officers have been given bravery awards for their actions - and I should think so too!

The 'L' word was used a lot during and after the Olympics.  The Walsgrave Hospital is some of the legacy now in their A&E department because of arise in sports related injuries.  I don't think that was they type of legacy they were hoping for though.  The advice from there is that anyone wanting to take up a sport when they haven't been all that active for sometime is to see a GP first.  Makes sense really.

Blackberry users are being hit yet again with another glitch.  Whatever, I still had 3 emails and a text message on mine when I got up this morning.  Maybe we BB users should form a 'lynch-mob' to get them to sort it all out.  Hang on a mo ... where does the term lynch-mob come from.  Ah, well, the Telegraph comes to the rescue again.  Well, it seems that on this day in 1780, a Captain William Lynch issued a proclamation that said that it was OK to take the Law into their own  if they thought that the Law wasn't working properly.  That brought 'lynching' and 'lynch-mob' into the English language.

I'd forgotten about this shot ...   

It's inside the Print Works in Manchester city centre.

Funny time ...

Once there was a beautiful woman who loved to work in her vegetable garden, but no matter what she did, she couldn't get her tomatoes to ripen. Admiring her neighbour's garden, which had beautiful bright red tomatoes, she went one day and inquired of him his secret.
"It's really quite simple," the old man explained. "Twice each day, in the morning and in the evening, I expose myself in front of the tomatoes and they turn red with embarrassment."
Desperate for the perfect garden, she tried his advice and proceeded to expose herself to her plants twice daily. Two weeks passed and her neighbour stopped by to check her progress. "So," he asked, "Any luck with your tomatoes?"
"No," she replied excitedly..."But you should see the size of my cucumbers!"       

No comments:

Post a Comment