Thursday 6 September 2012

Satnav, a fraudster and birds

6 September 2012

We are running late this morning because we slept in.  Luckily there's nothing vital on for us today, no appointments and so on.  The night before Jan was up all night being sick so last night she slept well, very well.  Neither of us moved until 9.50 this morning.  As I say, nothing vital is being missed but I was hoping to get to the eye hospital at the Walsgrave today to see about a few floaters that have begun to appear in my eyes.  We will set the alarm for tomorrow to make sure we're up in time.  Waiting times there can be very long when you just turn up, that's why I want to get there early.

So, what has the News to say for itself this morning?  Quite a bit - but very little, if you see what I mean.  A builder has been given an ASBO by a judge at Coventry Crown Court because of the shoddy work he has been doing for people across the borough.  However, he has just been released from jail after serving a sentence for fraud!  So why only an ASBO?  It seems fairly obvious that this man is clearly not very honest, if at all and the public would be better protected from him if was put back behind bars!

Tory led Warwickshire County Council is planning on switching street light in various areas of the county between midnight and 5.30am.  They cabinet member responsible attend a meeting in Bed'th to 'explain' the plan.  Reading between the lines what he said nearly started a riot!  Basically he said that no matter what the public said the lights will still be switched off.  The only point up for discussion is whether it should be 75% or 80% of the lights to be turned off.  So much for democracy then!  Hopefully the electorate will remember those words when it's time for him to be elected again!

As you know Jan and I have only been here for the last couple of months.  WE are keen birders so we were surprised and delighted to see a sparrow hawk land on the bush just outside our kitchen window.  Jan got a number of photos of it and she posted them on the Birdwatching Facebook page.  She certainly did a lot better than me in getting her shots.  I got a dose of the shakes again and couldn't hold the camera still.  We are also delighted that we are now being visited on a regular basis by two very nice goldfinches.  They're not at all rare but we were really excited to see then.  It means that the birdie word is out that there is another easy meal available.  Makes all the efforts worthwhile.  Maybe I should mention at this point that it's always good to feed the local birds but as with all life they also need water.  We bought a 10" ceramic plant pot dish and use that to provide water.  The things is though, it needs to be kept topped up and changed at least one a day and the dish itself needs regular cleaning. 

Here's a photo of two birds we haven't seen yet since we moved here

 ... a nuthatch and two blue tits.

I'm not all that keen on poetry folks, just can't see any point to it but The Rochdale Sage has been in touch again with a poem about a satnav ...
I have a little Satnav
It sits there in my car
A Satnav is a driver's friend
It tells you where you are

I have a little Satnav
I've had it all my life
It’s better than the normal ones
My Satnav is my wife

It gives me full instructions
Especially how to drive
"It's thirty miles an hour", it says
"You're doing thirty five"

It tells me when to stop and start
And when to use the brake
And tells me that it's never ever
Safe to overtake

It tells me when a light is red
And when it goes to green
It seems to know instinctively
Just when to intervene

It lists the vehicles just in front
And all those to the rear
And taking this into account
It specifies my gear.

I'm sure no other driver
Has so helpful a device
For when we leave and lock the car
It still gives its advice

It fills me up with counselling
Each journey's pretty fraught
So why don't I exchange it
And get a quieter sort?

Ah well, you see, it cleans the house,
Makes sure I'm properly fed,
It washes all my shirts and things
And - keeps me warm in bed!

Despite all these advantages
And my tendency to scoff,
I do wish that once in a while
I could turn the damned thing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment