Saturday 9 July 2011

How to write ...

9 July 2011

Having competed one book which is now awaiting publication and not far off finishing a second one, I decided that I perhaps should do a curse in creative writing, or something similar.  The Writers Bureau is what I choose.  I’ve also bought and read a number of magazines aimed at writers – yes I was surprised to find them too.  So far in the course and very regularly in the mags I read that to be a successful writer you need to think about your intended market and read, read, read all you can on that subject, learner what editors are looking for.  And even then read some more in a general sense, including the papers.  But most of all, write something everyday!  OK, all good and well in theory I suppose. 

After studying with the Open University for nearly 9 years and gaining enough credits for an honours degree in history, I was then assessed as being moderately to severely dyslexic.  That answered a few questions I can tell you!  Dyslexia for me effects me in a number of ways, reading of course, depending on the size and style of font it can take me 5 minutes to read one page in a standard paperback book.  I often miss-read things and have to go back and re-read them.  And that is the point I am trying to get to.  With my slow reading speed, at what point do I stop reading and start writing. 

Last night I finished reading the August issue of Writer’s Forum and on the last page they ran an interview with a writer who says that to make sure he does write everyday he brings his blog up to date by writing at least 300 words before he does any more writing.   “Great idea!” thinks me, “but hang on ... most morning when I get up I don’t know what time of day it is, let alone what day!”  Anyway, I’m going to give it a go and this is the first day of trying and it’s up to 343 words now.  But tomorrow I’m off to the Big Smoke darnsarf and I think I shall get much done before I go but will try when I get back.

Plans for tomorrow then are to leave Dorktown at around 10am and head off along the M1 and then down the A5 and on to find a disabled parking space near to the National Portrait Gallery.  Using my scooter I hope to be able to have a , look in there as well as the National gallery too.  Maybe I might manage to get along to the Tate Britain, but perhaps three in one day might be too much.  Now here’s a think, I’ve often been to London but always as a pedestrian who has to take a lot of rest on way around.  But if I’m right, I don’t remember seeing all that many dropped curbs in the city.  I shall soon find out. 
What has all this to do with Dorktown?  Nowt at all, but it has meant that I have been able to sit and write something for today at least.  A good start?  I hope so ;-)))

No comments:

Post a Comment