Saturday 22 November 2014

Yahoo, no birding today and bully-boy thugs



22 November

Last night I joined a new Yahoo group and ditched another one. The ditched group was the Sony Alpha 77 group; seeing as I no longer have an A77 I decided that I really need it. The other reason for ditching it was that so far this year there’s only been five posts to it. The group I joined is the Nikon DSLR group, there isn’t one for the D5200 alone. On there I saw over 300 posts for this month alone. Now I need to spend some time having read of thread headings for anything that might be useful for me.

Before Jan went out to pick up Kile yesterday afternoon, we had decided that if we did go birding it would only be a local run. I had suggested Sandwell Valley in Brum. Becca the weather gel on Midlands today scuppered that idea with her promise of showers across the region. The reason for deciding on there is that Kile is sometime a poor traveller in the car. It all began a couple of years ago when we went down to Newport in South Wales. As we drove away, he threw up in back of the Golf and was really upset by it. A few weeks later he did the same when we headed off towards North Wales; we only about half way before we had to turn back. We do have travel sickness pills here for him and that seems to work but even so, we feel it’s better not risk it than have him throw up again.

Coventry is being hit by a gang or machete wielding thugs robbing shops around the city. So far they have hit three shops and got away with a lot of cash and goods. But why on earth do they need to trash the shop once they’ve got what they went in for? It’s yet another picture of bully-boys picking on what they see as easy targets, and yes, they are easy targets when a group of thugs wave machetes at them; who wouldn’t be! The effect it all has on the shop staff must be very hard to deal with. In the past, some of the victims haven’t been able to return to work. Other do so but are nervous all the time in case it happens again.

It is often said that we all know what we were doing when we heard of major events happening. Like I said yesterday, I was in Colchester on a training course when the Birmingham pub bombing happened. Years early I used to have a small transistor radio and spent hours up my bedroom listening to Radio Luxemburg. One night a news flash came to say that President Kennedy had been shot dead. I went straight down stairs and told mam and dad and the both said I hadn’t heard it. I don’t remember them saying ‘sorry’ when they read about the following day. Anyway …

That event day happened on November 22 in 1963. It’s pretty momentous day all round is today. In 1428 a baby was born who later became known as ‘Kingmaker’. He was Richard Nevill, Earl of Warwick. Only 59 years later Vasco da Gama managed to sail around the Cape of Good Hope.

To brighten the day a bit … 

A kids’ day at the seaside wouldn’t be complete without these.

And let’s find a funny …

Q. What did the mayonnaise say when someone opened the refrigerator door. A. Close the door I am dressing!

No comments:

Post a Comment