Friday 21 November 2014

Lost and found, bombs and now a place to eat



21 November

It’s happened again; Last weekend I thought I’d thrown out this weeks’ telly pages. Muttering I bought a cheap version instead of the usual one we use. I’ve just sat down at me desk and there before me is the mag I thought I threw out. Oh dear … … …

The evening of 21 November 1974 saw me sat in the NAFFI in Colchester having a beer and watching the news on telly. The main item was the story of two bombs going off in pubs in Birmingham city centre. The whole was in complete silence as the story was reported. My first thought was to wonder if my brother was there. He didn’t normally go to Brum but he on occasions do so. He actually took me into the Mulberry Bush one time when I was on leave. I phoned home and found out Dave was at work doing a night shift. Some relief at least.

So now we are forty years on and the victim’s families and the survivors are getting on with their lives, or at least trying to. How can they just get on after something like that? Some of them have done and managed to put it all behind them. Others are still traumatised over it and one couple are still fighting for the investigation to be taken up again. Right now West Midland’s cops say there is very little chance for reaching a conclusion on it after so long. We all know that those who were convicted of it were released after their conviction was over turned. No-one else has been looked at for it, why not I wonder?

If the cops are not going to be looking for anyone, I wonder why? Are they convinced they got it right 40 years ago and those men only got off on a technicality? And what of the CPS (Criminal Protection Services); what are they saying or doing about it?

The Mulberry Bush was a cellar bar on New Street. The building is still there and cellar is still open but it’s now a Chinese restaurant. I got to know the place a lot better after I left the army. Then it was called The Yard of Ale; so for today’s photo I offer this pub sign …


And today’s funny …

 Hey, you didn’t have to give me the cold shoulder!” Said the cannibal who was late for dinner

No comments:

Post a Comment