Wednesday 30 November 2011

Bright blue sky

30 September 2011

What a lovely sunny day we have here in Dorktown today!  Clear blue sky and little if any wind or breeze.  Such a day gives no reason to be down does it.  Which reminds of something one my favourite writers once wrote.  Tom Clancy has his main man Jack Ryan say, "Kids always get up in a good mood.  I wonder when we lose that ability?"  It does make you wonder ... at least it makes me wonder.  Kile is always in a good mood when he gets up when he stops here with us.  What ever ...

GOOD MORNING WORLD!

And so we move on.  I've just made a cuppa and while I was waiting for the kettle to boil I took out a couple of plastic bottles that we emptied last night and put them in the recycling bin ready for next Tuesday.  I got to thinking about the whole idea of recycling at that point.  It's not all that a new idea it?  Think about it.  In the 60s and 70s Scouts used to collect old newspapers and milk bottle tops and tin cans to sell on to raise funds.  Now local councils are doing it to raise funds for themselves - yet there is never a reduction in council tax to mirror what is raised is there?  Had you noticed that?  The Scouts now have had to look at other ways of raising funds since their idea has been pinched by Big Brother in all his various guises.

A building society has claimed that house prices have increased over the last few months.  Well, looking at the local property guide in the News this morning I can't see where the increase is.  The mid terrace houses like the one we live in are either static price-wise or falling.  I keep an eye on prices to give me some idea as to what we might get for this house when the time comes.  A price increase might be nice but hang on, that will also mean whatever we buy after is likely to be more pricey too.  Right now we still haven't decided on where abouts we want to move to.  It will be a flat because neither of us in up to keeping a garden tidy, and if it is over the ground floor the block has to have a lift fitted.  We've seen some really nice third and four floor flats but no lift means they are out of for us.  We were looking at some in a few tower blocks in Margate which we fancied but I had thought the other day which means that they are now on the back burner.  All our comms stuff, land line, broadband, telly package and mobile phones are all from Virgin, and very good we've found it too.  But I wondered just how high up a tower block they are willing to install their service.  And if they won't install above a certain floor level, where do we get our comms service from?  Something else to think about.

Writing Magazine again ... they have run an interview with the Dork, or Terry Pratchett for those in know.  I wonder where that name came from.  I've not read any of his books.  I did try one once when a mate of mine Bill Howe loaned a couple but I just couldn't get my head around them.  Not idea why?  It's like the Town Hussy, I always fall asleep trying to read her stuff!  Anyway, just to get the record straight, I have used Dorktown for a long time now, so long in fact that I can't remember when I first started using it.  I got the idea from a film I watched, The 39 Steps where one guy says he lived in a 'one horse dork' ... and that is where I got it from.

Today is strike day.  I wonder just how many joined in?  I shall find out when I watch the news at 1'o'clock.  But will have any effect?  From what was said at Muppet Central yesterday, probably not.  The pain is due to go on for a lot longer and become worse it seems.  He made a big thing of cancelling the planned fuel price increase in January but kept quiet on the increase in Air Tax.  See, you just can't trust any Muppet Person but even more so those covered in blue paint!             

No comments:

Post a Comment