Tuesday 29 November 2011

New toy on the wish list

29 November 2011

A new toy has been brought to my attention - a digital pen.  With this magic invention you can write normally with the pen paper, lined paper is best, and the pen saves the work ready to be uploaded to a computer later.  Sounds like magic to me!  I always have a note book and pen to hand in case I hear something I might later use in a story or in case I have a story idea come to mind while sitting having a drink.  Actually, I have sat and wrote a full story before now while sitting in a pub.  Having to type it all up after is a pain but it also means I can do some editing at the same, which does help.  As I sit here thing about it I can see it being a very useful tool for any writer.  Tom Clancy once said, "If it isn't written down, it didn't happen!"  How right he is.

I got House of Pain proof read last night and the corrections done.  Later today I shall get on get it published ready for sale.  But I'm a bit of a quandary.  The proof copy is set in 11pt Times New Roman and is at 1.5 spacing.  It looks OK but has lots of white space all around.  I'm thinking of going to single spacing and 14pt font ... don't know yet I shall have a play and see how I get on with it.       I remember that at one time there was a command in Word that allowed you to indent the first line of each paragraph, I think it was called 'Hang'.  But this Word 2007 version I can't find it.  I would have to go through the whole thing and do a 'tab' at the start of each paragraph.  I'll see later when I've had a play with it.

So then ... the Big Strike tomorrow.  How do feel?  Do you support it or not?  I have mixed feeling on it.  My pension is OK and safe but it's not a huge.  Thing is though, whatever I get from my pension a corresponding amount is taken away in  other benefits.  If you pension is too large then you won't get any additional state pension to go with it.  My mum has a small mine-workers widows pension and she has to pay tax on that and she can't claim pension credit either.  It really bugs me that 86 year old lady is still paying tax at all.  I've tried every way I can think of getting it stopped but there's a huge great brick wall called DWP that gets in the way.  You do know what that stands for don't you - its Department for Wealth Punishment!
Not got round to looking at the News yet, to busy looking for me new toy but seeing it is Tuesday I don't suppose there's much in it.  It felt rather thin as I picked it up this morning.  The front page headline is about tomorrows strike, I did notice that though. 

Weather today is  dark, cloudy and wet - good job we're not going out then!  Hang on, Tuesday, that's Jan's bible study night so she might be going out ... now what mischief can I get up to while she is out?  I'd better not say cos she reads this #ere blog ;-)))          

No comments:

Post a Comment