Sunday 20 November 2011

Back home tired, knackered but happy

20 November 2011

Up at 7am, on the road at 8am and just look at the weather we had drive through ...

It eased t'ther side of Cambridge though.  The idea was go and see Jan's brother Gordon ... all 6' 7" of him!  Look at him and Jan together here ...

I also wanted a ride around town on my scooter so I could get some new pub signs and general photos.  We've been there many times before but not since we got our decent cameras, and I wasn't on flickr then either.  Anyway, my new shots are on my photostream at http://www.flickr.com/photos/15764683@N00/    if you want a look.  They're there anyway ;-)))

After Ipswich we drove on to Felixstowe because that was one of our possible destinations we might eventually move to ... it won't be there!  The town is very small and doesn't have much to it at all.  Disabled parking rules are strange too.  We parked in a designated disabled parking bay and a warden told us we could park there for two hours.  But if we had parked on double yellow lines we could have parked for three hours!  Daft I calls it.  Whatever, we were done in less than an hour, even after getting to the sea front and getting these two shots. 

Felixstowe does have one thing in its favour.  As we left we saw signs for "Old Felixstowe" and decided to go have a look.  We eventually ran out of road at place called Ferry.  Now that is a very nice little village or whatever it is.  We were well impressed with it.  The pub there is called the Ferry Boat and if you are ever in the area, it's well worth a visit.  Four real ales on every day and a menu that is one of the nest I've ever seen for a pub.  There was some much on there I would have liked to loved to have tried but we were an hour and a half too early for the kitchen to open.  There was so much choice for a food lover like me; I fancied the thornback fish and the rabbit stew just for starters.  It was a tad pricey mind, but I wouldn't have worried about it.

The route was the reverse of the route done and we didn't do any detours this time.  Fog showed up again around the Kettering area of the A14 and I thought that there were some lovely photos to be had of the lights in the fog with a funnel of light with clearly demarked areas in it.  Sadly there were not parking places at that point and I didn't have my tripod with me either.
There's no Dorktown News on Saturday but the Dorktown Telegraph was waiting for me when I got in.  The front page has a story of a lady who has died in a mysterious fire; a 65 year old pensioner has been jailed for four months for falsely claiming £47,000 in benefits.  That pisses me right off for two reasons"  Four months is not enough for the amount concerned; secondly, I claimed disability benefits legally because of my conditions and such cases like that one gives genuine claimants a bad name.  I also think it is also why so many able bodied people won't help or give way to disabled people out in the streets. 

Also waiting for me yesterday was the December issue of Bird Watching.  It means I have plenty of reading to get on with.  Mind you, I nearly fell asleep while reading it last night I was so tired when we got back.  There's plenty in there to keep me going for a day or two anyway.  And then there is the Norfolk Wildlife Trust paper that was also waiting for me.  We have the Sunday Express delivered here.  I started taking that one in August 2010 after reading a book called Tales of Tabloid Twitcher by Stuart Winter.  Stuart is the Environment editor of the paper and every Sunday he writes a column called BirdMan.  Of course being a birder I read it.  The BTO (British Trust for Ornithology - a bit long wind so BTO will do), is saying that the current list of birds seen here in Britain is standing at 450 species with at least one waiting to be confirmed.  It's claimed to be one of the best years ever, if the very best for rare bird sightings.  How many of those have I seen?  Oh dear, I miserly 120, or there abouts.

Ah well ... I can hear NaNo calling for some more work to be done so I had better get on with it ;-)))  

No comments:

Post a Comment