Friday 18 November 2011

Proof reading and the News

18 November 2011

Today's news comes courtesy of the Dorktown News and Tribune, but first a little history.  Some time ago the two local papers were the Evening Tribune and Coventry Evening Telegraph, both were dailies.  Weekly there was Observer.  I have no idea what happened to the Observer; the Tribune became a weekly and is now the weekly freebie.  Now we just have the Dorktown News and the Coventry Telegraph and the freebie.  That's got that bit out of the way!

Some lucky local blighters have won the £1 million raffle that is part of the Euro Millions game.  It works out at £77,000 each.  I'm envious because the most we have won was £54 when we got four matching numbers on the UK Lotto.  Envious I might be but I wish them well on their luck.

Now then, what else is there.  A man from Dorktown is to be sentenced for his part in the murder of another man.  There's a woman involved in there too somewhere and she has already been give a life sentence.  Another case before the courts was that of a 65 year man who pleaded not guilty to a number of child sexual abuse charges from the 1970/80's while he was serving in the Army.  He was found guilty of all of them and is now serving Her Majesty again for an 'indeterminate' time.  The judge claimed that the man is a true paedophile and that the public needs to protected from him.  I just can't understand these people you know.  Why can't they leave the kids alone to have normal childhood and be happy at play?  There are time when perhaps the death penalty is warranted ... or maybe not - I don't know.

I wrote some time ago about Tesco building a new store in Bed'th.  It seems that 145 new jobs will be created when the store opens.  apparently over 1000 people have applied for those jobs!  Can't you just tell that we have yet another Tory government!

Remember the man who died a few weeks ago who was a mate of my brother?  Well, I kept a look at for his funeral notice but it didn't appear and as I don't know where he regular friends lived I didn't know when it happened.  I only knew he had died because of the splash his death made in the News.  I really would have liked to attend that one.

As you may know I'm having a go at the NaNoWriMo effort that is going on.  The idea is to write a 50,000 words novel during the 30 days of November.  It works out at a daily word count of around 1600 words.  Well, mine is currently at 37,318 words.  If I had to release it for sale as it now, I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised that if someone bought it they decide they would never again buy one of my books.  It's so full of holes and loose ends.  I shall have to go back over it and do a lot more work on it.  This current 50,000 words is very much a first draft.  Which brings me to House of Pain.                

House of Pain in my second novel.  My second proof copy arrived yesterday and I'm now sitting reading it looking for mistakes.  I'm hoping to find the bulk of what is left in there, and correct them so that I can get it released.  I subscribe to two writing mags and they both say that we should strive for perfection in our writing.  OK, fine, but I am a Tom Clancy fan and I've found a lot of errors in his some of his books!  Anyway, I shall get Pain read again soon and get it released ASAP then.

I don't think that I will be doing anything on here again tomorrow as we're off to Ipswich to see Jan's brother Gordon for the day and we will be back late.  From there we're off for a look at Felixstowe as a possible move to area for us.

Have a good weekend all.




Jan and Kile at Meadowhall



Me with the Telegrapgh van at Asda Coventry


Two boats at Gibralter Point

No comments:

Post a Comment