Tuesday 22 November 2011

Camera repairs/servicing and pricing

22 November 2011

There's not a lot happening in Dorktown according to the News this morning.  The Opposition councillors are appealing for council workers not to go on strike on the 30th - not much chance of that I think.  There's been various charity fund rising going on as well as the Children in Need effort last Friday.  The Crimble lights are being switched on in various places.  Here in Dorktown they turn it into a Victorian Night and set up stalls for charities to use.  Oh yes, I forgot yesterday, I had another letter published in the News yesterday.

So where does today's heading come from then?  Well, my Sony Alpha 350 needed to have its sensor cleaned properly so I've been asking around.  Jessops wanted £70, the camera had to be sent off somewhere with a minimum of a two week turn around.  Another place in Coventry wanted a minimum of £100 and they too send it off.  So I phoned London Camera Exchange in Leamington Spa.  Their price is £29.99 with an overnight service.  The camera is due to be collected any  time after midday today.  Big difference there folks.  I'll be glad to it back minus all the smudges and smears I normally have to clone out of my photos.   According to the weather forecast last night, tomorrow is meant to be a nice day.  Goodo!  I can try out my nice clean sensor.  That should quicken my workflow somewhat.       

The problem of dust and dirty getting onto digital camera sensors is an ongoing one.  Most compacts don't suffer from it because they are sealed units making it hard for dust to get in.  But a DSLR is not sealed simply because the lens can be changed and it is at that point that where the problem lies.  But I wonder ... I have fancied upgrading my kit for some time now but because of my first choice being a Sony I have bought extra lenses in that line.  To change to another brand will be far too expensive right now.  Sony have bought out a number of new models in what they term TSLR - the T standing for translucent.  It means that instead of mirror that flips up when the shutter is released the screen in front of the sensor remains in place.  So has Sony found the answer to dirty sensors as a side benefit if the new type of SLR camera?  I hope so.  Anyway, I fancy the Alpha 77 model but at £1200 body only, perhaps not today eh ;-))) 

At just over 42,000 words my NaNo effort is well on track.  Hopefully I shall get more done today once we are through in Leamington Spa this afternoon.  I think I read somewhere that they open the upload page on 25th.  I'll see how I do but I don't think I will be able to upload on that day.  What it does mean is  that what I was working on what I thought would be my third novel with the working title of Happyman.  So now #4 will be Finding Our Way, a story of two men from entirely different circumstance finding their role in life after they go through a major change, one a lottery winner, the other being crippled for life.  It is a departure for me in that The Mission and House of Pain are crime novels,  whereas this is not.  I don't know what genre it is really, ah well. 

I suppose now I ought to make a coffee for the Boss, Jan, she's busy on the phone right now and will for ages now ;-)))            

No comments:

Post a Comment