Wednesday 18 January 2017

Disabled access victory?

18 January

I really don’t believe that I got some writing done yesterday, other than the blog that is; yes, around 2,000 words of Arathusia now safely on paper. I got to a point where there was a natural break in the story line which made it the right place to stop. Hand writing is a good way for making sure you have cut the chances of losing your work to a minimum, but it all needs to be typed up at some point. However, the hand written version really is a first draft, something that I wouldn’t be happy for anyone to read through.

Yesterday I finished Parry Hotter 6, and began GOT 6. The Prologue took some working through, very hard actually, but once I started the main story it was a lot easier. The Imp is at the start but haven’t looked any further on yet. I read something on Facebook about Mr Martin is due to release or begin, #8; about time too. There was another article about him writing another series. My thought was it looked like another series he could get bored with. It’s a pity really, I do like his work, I just wish he’d get on with it. I would not be surprised that someone isn’t holding a large mirror on me over that comment – ah well … ... …

Disability access has come to the attention of the courts again. This is due to a guy I know personally who had a problem on a bus when I passenger refused to leave a dedicated seat for wheelchair passengers. That happened in 2012 and finally Doug has won his case, or has he I wonder? As with all legislation issues with disability rights, nothing is totally clear. Ambiguous words like ‘reasonable, could, depending on circumstances’ and so on can be argued over for years. The passenger who refused to move was a young mother with a sleeping baby. She claimed that her buggy couldn’t be folded down. I don’t know about you but I do think she had a point at that time. As a mother, she needed to be close to her baby, and that does seem reasonable to me. Yes, it was difficult for Doug who had to wait for another bus, but under the circumstances, I would agree with the mother.

I first became aware of Doug during my time with the OU. At one time myself and a few others got together to form a Disabled Students Society in the OUSA (Open University Students Association). The word Society was soon ditched in favour of Group. Doug was one of our supports at the time. As we moved forward as a group within OUSA, it became clear that the word ‘disability’ was also ambiguous, no, wrong word really. It became clear that there were far more medical conditions that caused disability, and various degrees of disability too, that there really was a major difficulty in providing a level playing fields for everyone.

For example; I was a member of the geology society. They arranged field trips to various venues where clear signs of interesting geology could be studied, I got to go on one of them and that was when I first saw a trace fossil and understood what it was. Anyway … it occurred to me that if the GS organised a trip to walk up Mount Snowdon, there was no way that they would be able help someone who spent their lives in mobility scooters/chairs to attend that trip. To my mind it was unreasonable for us expect them to do so.

Different disability’s effect people in different ways, for example mental illness. How many conditions are there that come under that banner I wonder? Diabetes is another one. In my case it’s well controlled by diet and the metformin I take twice a day, they there are many diabetics who have to be very careful in what they eat and what they do on an hour by hour basis. To be funny useful for all diabetics would be impossible to my mind. Along this line, a student from Telford I know was allergic to lettuce, yes, lettuce. At one meeting I attended she had indicated that no lettuce in her lunch. It arrived OK, nice presented in a covered plate with her name on the cover – but garnished with, yes, lettuce. And on it goes …

This little rant began over a court case in London. It’s not just on bus services that they are access problems. Nuneaton railway station has lifts install to get from platform to platform, great idea from someone. However, if a mobility scooter rider or wheelchair user needs to travel by train, they are advised to book a few days early, ‘so the kit needed can be there for use.’ Oh really? And what happens if the journey is an emergency? How do those passengers manage? I heard of one lady who got on a train but because there were no wheelchair spaces, she had ride in the baggage car. The rail industry is still not doing very well on this one.

It’s an issue not confine just to the railways though is it. There is a tendency these days for anyone who is disabled to classed as being a faker, and scrounger or just generally looked down on for not trying enough. The people who abuse the blue badge systems don't help either. That is an attitude that needs to change; however, there a number of disabled people who do not help the rest of us. Rugby has more than just the odd one or two, and even here in our town we have more than few too. Public concerns will never really change until all disabled people show themselves to be just like everyone else, but unable to do everything an able-bodied person can.

Today’s photo …

Perhaps J K got the idea of the house hour glasses from here?

Today’s funny …

A man and his wife were watching golf on tv and the sound on the commentary was rather low. The woman went to turn it up. 'Ssh,' said the husband, 'ssh. Not while he's putting.'      

No comments:

Post a Comment