Friday 18 September 2015

The use of, or lack thereof, of bulleting boards



18 September

My current source of funnies is an American one that I booked marked some time ago. The aging related jokes are to my mind funny, or I wouldn’t be posting them. Like all comedy though, the best of it is based firmly in real life but exaggerated somewhat. The ones I’m currently posting about memory loss and miss understanding what is said, are no exception. Those us who are having the memory loss problems are lucky right now, however, it might well come to us at some time in the future. Laughing about it is perhaps the easiest way to deal with it while we can.  

Streetlife is a bulletin board I became aware of some months ago and like so many other online boards we see the same few people who post on there. Our town group has 1200+ members but so far I’ve seen less than twenty of them actually taking part. Facebook is another one that if you look at more critically you will notice just a few regular users. The Nuneaton ground for instance has 10,000+ members, as I said yesterday, but again so far, I’ve only seen the same names posting on there.

This isn’t the first time I’ve seen this though. During my time with the OU I did a few courses where we were encouraged, indeed it was an important part of the course, to take part in the on-line areas of uni’s own intranet system called FirstClass. Away from those course related boards there were hundreds of social boards too, but even so, a look around them showed the same maybe 30-40 names showing up. The OU at that time had a student population of around 150,000, so why were some so reluctant to take part I wonder.

We are all aware of the element within the on-line community who take great pleasure in causing upset, perhaps that’s why? On FirstClass I was certainly the butt end of some of it but not since I came away from it. Twitter and FaceBook are the main platforms these toss-bags use now. It amazes me that they seem to trawl around looking for people to pick on, eyes open for those who are at low ebb anyway.

Earlier this morning I sat forward on the edge of my chair, simply because if I stand up too quickly I get giddy. As I sat there starting at the carpet, I got the impression that I was very tall. Of course, I’m not, I’m only 5’ 5” and I know that. Perhaps these trolls don’t or won’t accept that they too are not so tall, so big that they can do what they want. That makes these idiots are nothing but bullies! They wouldn’t make those same sort comments face to face with their victims would they? No, they hide behind privacy of the keyboard and the monitor. As I said, bullies.

The plan for today was to drive over to Coventry for a few hours, but guess what? We slept in, yet again! Ah well … Tomorrow we get off down town on our scooters so we can have a ride round and see what photos we can get. We also need a wee bit of shopping too, but nothing important so that might wait until Monday I think. I wonder if there’s anything on down there that might be good for a shoot? Soon find out eh … … …

Today’s photo is another from our run out the other day … 

This puff ball fungus was right beside the car when I parked up. If I had been certain of its ID, I would have picked it and had for supper that night.

Today’s funny …

 This old guy was talking to his neighbor telling him about the new hearing aid he just got. "It cost a fortune, but it was worth it. It works perfectly."
"Really," said the neighbor. "What kind is it?"
"Ten thirty."

No comments:

Post a Comment