Monday 14 September 2015

Nosie and pet hates ...



14 September

At last I have got to watch last week’s Tonight programme on ITV, an interesting story about noise pollution and its effect on health. We are fairly lucky here in that there is very little noise around our flats, unlike that bungalow we had in Bed’th. It wasn’t just the noise from the flats apposite us but when we were in the back garden we could clearly hear the traffic on the M6 about two miles away. For those who live near airports or against motorways, then I really do feel for them.    

Actually, most noise that affects me is that from my CPAP machine and the tinnitus I have. Most of that though comes from the air in the pipe and when the face mask leaks, which it does fairly often cos I’m a pretty restless sleeper. The guy upstairs makes a bit of noise at times but it’s not excessive and we have to expect a certain amount anyway seeing as we live under his place.

What do you make the statement ‘I can’t wait for … ’? I really do hate it you know. But now there’s another one that has sneaked its way into usage here in the UK. I first came across ‘up lifted’, in a pub in Bolton where I picked up a couple of packs of ketchup too many when I had a meal. One of the bar staff said that anything that been ‘up lifted’. By a customer had to be thrown out. Sorry to say she got the sharp end of my tongue after that one!

But now I’ve heard it on a couple of TV shows as well, the last one being a cop show where a detective said that they ‘up lifted’ a computer for forensic examination. But where has it come from I wonder? Is it a fairly new management speak term, or maybe it’s another yanky term that managed to swim/fly over here. Rex Harrison once sang about the English not speaking English; do you remember that one at the start of the film My Fair Lady? It seems there are some people here who need to drop the crap and speak English without all rubbish that has been added to it. Having said that, I do use a few terms not in general use don’t I? Like, ‘cos’ and ‘nowt’ and so on. Naughty boy, I shall try harder!

I’m not really into glorifying criminals and crime but I can’t ignore this one. One of my Facebook friends, a lass named Barbara posted something on there yesterday that made me smile. The post included two photos, one of the Kray twins and one a gang of lads in hoods lying about trying to look hard. The post asked which were the hardest of them. I think the hoodies would have been in a lot of trouble if the Krays were still around.

Today’s photo is actually a pub sign and interior …


This is the Grave Maurice and was once the HQ of the Krays. They used the pub office to run their empire from, and I’ve actually stood in that room. The pub was run by my sister-in-law Trish and her hubby Keith. It was Keith who took me up there to have a look. It's cahnged a lot since Trish had it and I thought I had gone into the wrong pub at first.

Today’s funny …

  1. Eat less.
  2. Usually come when called.
  3. Are easier to train.
  4. Don't ask for money all the time.
  5. Don't drink or smoke.
  6. Don't hang out with friends who use drugs.
  7. Never ask to drive the car.
  8. Don't have to have the latest fashions.
  9. Don't want to wear your clothes.
  10. Don't need a gazillion dollars for college, and
If they get pregnant, you can sell their children

No comments:

Post a Comment