Saturday 26 September 2015

Snapping at landscapes



26 September

We have been watching that Saints and Scroungers on the BEEB. For those who don’t know of it, basically it’s about the people who cheat our benefits system and claim tax-payers money they are not entitled to. On the flip side are those folks who do need the help and support that is around for them, mainly because they don’t know it’s there or how to claim it.

One of the favourite bennies the cheats go for is Disability Living Allowance. It’s meant for those folk are disabled or far too ill to be able look after themselves, let alone work. In some of these cases the cheats have taken thousands of £s over long period of time. This really bugs me, but it also make me wonder what is going in some of our GP practices. When Jan claimed DLA she had to get support from her GP. This was mainly in a letter where the GP listed the medical conditions that she was being treated for. So how come some the cheats are getting that support? It also makes me wonder if they are in on the con. It’s also something we will never get to know the truth about methinks.

For years now I have been shying away from taking a lot of landscape photos. Two reasons for it; 1; I find hard to actually ‘see’ a decent landscape while I’m out and about; 2; some of the very best landscapes are shot in out of the way places which requires photographers to walk off into the wilds of whatever country they are in. I can’t do the walking that is required to get these places. Being out and about at dawn or at dusk cause both of us, not just me a lot of pain and difficulty.

It means that I am limited to mainly urban landscapes and the odd seascape/beach scene taken from a high point or the prom. That does work for us, like here … 

a shot of Brighton Pier a few years ago. And here … 

Details in reflection, Brum. And that is where I have to make do I suppose. Actually, it’s not just making do, indeed there are pro-photographers making a reasonable living in urban photography. That is where I shall continue to shoot.

My AP arrived this morning and as is usual it has a decent mix of articles within its pages. The one that I won’t reading though, is the one of video taken with a DLSR. I have no interest in that subject at all. A lot of the camera test reports I’ve read claim that the lack of a video function may be a minus point for the camera. For me it doesn’t. My Nikon D5200 has that feature, but I ignore it. Other so called useful add-ons are GPS and 3D.

They are something else I would ignore, indeed, I did ignore the GPS function on Sony A77. These are another subject area for complaints about cameras, suggesting that if they were left off a camera body they would be cheaper. I very much doubt that, simply because of the cost involved of producing two bodies for the same model, one with and one without the added functions. It seems to me that no matter what the manufacturers do, they can’t it right to keep some people happy.

And today’s photo … 

A stairway in Brum.

Today’s funny …

 Normal people ... believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.        

No comments:

Post a Comment