Monday 28 September 2015

The power man calleth ...



28 September

For years now we have been getting our energy from Ova Energy. When we first moved in here we had our account transferred over. At some point they fitted a new meter which should have had an ariel on it which would transmit the usage data to Ova and to a little gizmo we have in our living room. The idea of the gizmo is to tell us just how much energy we are using and how much it is costing us. It’s a good idea of course, but the new meter was installed around two years ago, without the ariel. Today the guy came to fit one.

Just as Mr Ova was about to leave, Mr Apollo turned up to do a few electrics survey ready for our new kitchen next month. That job didn’t need doing cos the same guy had done it in May. I don’t understand why they didn’t know that before the job was scheduled, it would have saved at least one house call. Apollo is a council owned company/contractor so I suppose we can’t expect too much in common sense when it come spending tax payers money. Whatever, the sparky has gone now too, but I had made a note of it for the wrong day anyway. I’d got it down for next Monday. At least we are fee now and the rest of the today.

Two new books were begun over the weekend by two new writers too. Song of Treason by Jeremy Duns, is a paperback and is a story of the Cold War set in the 1960s/70s. The main character is a MI6 man who is working for both sides, and he kill the head of 6, and then at the funeral someone tries to kill him too. Instead his new boss gets in the way he is killed. Opps …

The other one is The Synchronicity War by a German writer I can’t remember the name of right now. It’s a good old fashioned space opera of a Sci-Fi, a genre I just love. Not many of them are penned these day I think. Top and bottom of it all is a United Earth Space Navy ship is lost in deep space so a fleet of frigates are sent to look for her. What they find along with the lost frigate is new space fairing race and we have the start of a whole new war. It’s basically Cowboys and Indians in space suites I suppose. Good fun though.

As for my writing, well, I did get two lines done when the sparky said he would be knocking off the power for about an hour. That meant I had to close me desktop, Jan was OK using her lappy of course. I decided that it was an opportunity to get some writing done. After 15 minutes he was gone and I had just got two lines, all of one sentence down on paper. Seeing as I didn’t do my blog yesterday, I wanted a day off see, I thought I’d better get on with doing it today. Once I’m done here and had a look around the ‘net, I shall get back on with it before we go out shopping in the evening.

We are getting more and more disillusioned with Asda, so today we are going to Tesco arena in Coventry and see how get on there. Jan has found out that some of our regular buys are cheaper over there so it’s worth a look. I’ve always thought that the fruit and veg was cheaper at Asda but we can get it even cheaper at Aldi and Lidl, even if the choice is not so great. It’s old shopping two step I suppose.

As you can see I haven’t mentioned any current affairs today. Why is simple, I haven’t seen any news on telly or read a paper, so I have no idea as to what has been happening around the world. I shall find out later when I watch the news at 6pm.

So now I need to find a photo … 

A chunk of concrete of a man and an archway. I’ve not tried to puzzle this one out folks, that’s for you to do. An art historian named Gombrich called it, ‘The beholder’s (viewers) share’.

Today’s funny …
Question:
Upon entering a laboratory, you see an experiment. How do you know which class it belongs to?
Answer:
If it's green and wiggles, it's biology. If it stinks, it's chemistry. If it doesn't work, it's physics.

No comments:

Post a Comment