Wednesday 23 September 2015

Room for both formats?



23 September

Fish are supposed not have a memory, and yet our fish know that we feed them from the side of the tank by one of my book cases. OK, fine, I know about Pavlov’s(?) dogs, but it’s not just our fish is it? I’ve lost count of the number of anglers that claim that there one fish that has been caught too often it won’t now take the bait. If that is correct for wild fish, who have a fairly wide range, how can it be claimed that fish do not have a memory? As it is, I don’t see the point to sitting beside a river or lake to catch a fish and then let it go straight away. If they are hungry then fine, catch a fish and eat it; but just for ‘sport’, come on, please!!!

It’s a nice day and its market day, but we can’t get into town because we have our foot butcher arriving soon. When it comes to the next appointment I’m going to suggest we try to avoid Wednesdays so if it is a nice day, we can go out to town. I decided to look for and find a Dorktown group on Facebook, and I’ve joined it. Another member is looking for photos of the market, and I’ve loads of them. And yet there are more new shots every market day, that why I like to keep the day clear.

The Ed James novel I’m reading, #7 in the Scott Cullen series, is as good and entertaining as all the others, so I shall be looking for more of his when I can. I’ve already seen one that is not part of that series so that will be the first one I shall get. These books I read on my kindle, my paper backs I read in bed. Currently I have two on the go. There’s #3 in Game of Thrones, and I’m now reading #6 of the Parry Hotters for the second time. I’m finding #3 a tad hard going right now, so that’s why the second one.

There’s a lot of talk in various places about the printed book being dead. However, a recent report I read the other day claimed that kindle book sales had fallen while printed book sales had increased slightly. The thing is, this sort of thing has happened before hasn’t it. There’s still and on-going debate about digital vs film photography. I still remember watching BFG where two general officers were each claiming their way was best, ‘Bombs,’ ‘Tanks,’ ‘bombs … The think is though, there is room for both, (even in war).

I love my Nikon DSLR, and yet I would love to have a Minolta XD7 again and use Ilford HP4 and FP4 B&W films. But I can’t afford to do both, so I shall remain with digital. In most areas there is room for both formats of everything like that. I just wish that both sides of an argument could see that and stop all the bickering.

Today’s photo then … 

A guy showing off his dream.

Today’s funny …

A pastor, a doctor and an engineer were waiting one morning for a particularly slow group of golfers. The engineer fumed, "What's with these guys? We must have been waiting for 15 minutes!" The doctor chimed in, "I don't know, but I've never seen such ineptitude! "The pastor said, "Hey, here comes the greens keeper. Let's have a word with him." [dramatic pause]
"Hi, George. Say, what's with that group ahead of us? They're rather slow, aren't they?"

The greens keeper replied, "Oh, yes, that's a group of blind firefighters. They lost their sight saving our clubhouse from a fire last year, so we always let them play for free anytime."

The group was silent for a moment.

The pastor said, "That's so sad. I think I will say a special prayer for them tonight."

The doctor said, "Good idea. And I'm going to contact my ophthalmologist buddy and see if there's anything he can do for them."

The engineer said, "Why can't these guys play at night?"          

No comments:

Post a Comment