Sunday 6 September 2015

Odds n ends ...



6 September

There a lot of unwritten rules in photography. One of is the rule of thirds. The idea is to mentally divide what you see through your view into a grid of nine and lay your main subjects onto the grid lines. Michael Freeman, one of Nphoto’s writers, has taken this rule of thirds and although not throwing it out, claimed that not all subjects can be equally as this rule requires. It all started when John Thomas Smith miss interpreted a comment by Sir Joshua Reynolds in the 18th century. It’s something I have found difficult to do on most of my images, and now I wonder just many of these so-called ‘rules’ are more of a guide than a rule.

After all my plans yesterday, nothing actually got done apart from catching up on emails and Facebook. Well, that’s not quite right really. As I’ve said before I have an on-off project in tracing my family history. One name I am interested in is Jayne, and I’m not the only one. Other Jaynes have done a lot more work on it than me and have traced it back 1803, where it all goes very cold. No-one has been able to get any further back than that year.

There I was watching Heir Hunters and I thought I heard the name George Jayne mentioned. So yesterday I played it again, taking notes as it went. Even so I must have miss-heard it because later the name is clearly said to be James, not Jayne. And yet there is a George Jayne in the family line. A friend in Colorado sent me an obit of him from a few years ago. Anyway, as far as we can see the name comes from the Forest of Dean area; the one on telly was in the London area. So we are no further forward, or backward so to speak.

I know several ladies with Jayne as a first name, but as a Surname, it’s not so common, so every time I see it on telly I make a note of it. The last time I saw it was in the third of the Tremors films, Back to Perfection. In this film a man named Robert Jayne is in the cast list. Now I’m wondering if he has taken the name as a film name, or it’s his real name. As far as I know Robert is not used within the UK Jaynes, so perhaps it’s one of our American names.
Such a pity if it is seeing as I can’t afford to go there and try to find him and ask. Although I would a lot fun taking lots of photos of the place anyway.
      
‘The truth will out’ as we muggles say. It certainly did in Baldacci’s First Family.  Basically it’s about politics and how far someone will go in covering up actions taken years ago to protect the image/office of some people. I finished the book last night and I’ve really enjoyed it, a lie a number of others he has written. Well worth a go folks if you haven’t tried him. #3 of Game of Thrones will be started tonight. Oh what a busy life I lead … … …

Today’s photo then … 

One of the many animals at WMSP.

Today’s funny …
Recently I went to the doctor for my annual physical. The nurse asked me how much I weighed. I told her 135 pounds. Then she weighed me and the scale said 160. She asked me how tall I was. I said, "5 feet, 5 inches." She measured me and I was only 5 feet, 3 inches. So she took my blood pressure and told me it was high.
"Of course it's high," I said. "When I came in here I was tall and slender. Now I'm short and fat!"

No comments:

Post a Comment