Monday 7 September 2015

Plans of mice and men



7 September

Jan has taken Sam and Billy to West Mids Safari Park seeing as we had a free ticket to use up. So my plan was to ride into town and post a lens I’ve sold on Ebay. Jan is using my Nikon today cos she has loaned Sam Kile’s A350; I hope they are both getting on OK with them. First time with a Nikon for Jan. and after all, Sam is a blonde, so I hope she is doing OK with the A350. She should be, I set to the auto setting so she only needs to zoom in and out.

Plans of men and mice eh? The two scooter batteries I have here, one is broken, the second one is only half charged. I did get out though to get the lens posted at the local PO. I headed off to town and that is when I saw how low the battery level was. So now I’m back home and writing this. Later I will get on and read some more of Ed James’ Cowboys and Indians.

That lens has caused a bit of confusion though. I was sure that it would only work on manual focus and said so in the description. The chap who bought then asked if it was faulty because it was supposed to be auto focus. So last night I tried on Jan’s A58 and blow me, it is auto focus. I’ve let the guy know and have given him the tracking number too. Hope he’s happy with it now.

Last night I began reading the third of the Game of Thrones series. Yet again I’m finding it a bit heavy going. Martin seems to have brought in a couple of new characters in Night Watch who are planning to do a runner after killing all the officers. This plot seems to be new as well. If this one goes as the others have it will pick up before long, I hope so anyway. There are times though when I think that I have loads of other books that need reading by writers who I know are a lot easier to read. So I do wonder why I keep on with the slower/harder writers.

Bit of a surprise out front this morning. The footpaths have been resurfaced but to me they don’t seem all that different. What really needed doing was the dropped curbs which are far too high for scooter users. My back really does take a pounding on those around here. The only way around it is to use the cycle lane, but the looks and rude signs from a lot of drivers and especially van drivers, lets you know that they don’t like you on the road at all. Just one more sign of how inconsiderate and uncaring life is getting these days.

Toady’s photo … 

Fun on a ride at WMSP.

Today’s funny …

 Do you find yourself looking at others your own age and thinking, "Surely I can't look that old?" If so, you'll love this one!
I was sitting in the waiting room of my new dentist. It was my first appointment. I noticed his diploma on the wall, which had his full name. Suddenly, I recalled a tall, dark haired, handsome boy with the same name had been in my high school class nearly 50 years ago. Could this be the same boy I had a secret crush on, way back then? When I saw him, however, I quickly discarded that thought. This gray haired, balding man with the deeply wrinkled face was way too old to have been my classmate. Hmmm! Or could he?
After he examined my teeth, I asked him if he had attended Northampton High School. "Yes, I did!" he said. "I'm a Konkrete Kid." He gleamed with pride.
"What year did you graduate?" I asked.
"In 1959," he said. "Why do you ask?"
"I was in your class!" I exclaimed.
He looked at me closely. Then, that ugly, wrinkled, old, fat, bald, gray, decrepit SOB asked, "What did you teach?"

No comments:

Post a Comment