Friday 11 September 2015

A dying town.



11 September

Dorktown is dying, there’s no doubt about that. There’s a large number of empty shops here, as there are all over the UK and yet our council is still moving ahead with plans for two new developments that will bring more shopping prospects to the town. One of the longest serving and the one with the largest floor space stores in the town has announced it is pulling out. The two major streets in town are Queens Road and Abbey Street, and the Co-op stretches between the two. They also have a large store in Attleborough and two smaller stores on the east side of town too, and from what I read, those two stores will also close. So I wonder where that will leave the new developments.

Here’s a shot of Old Dorktown before the planners(?) got their sticky mits on the place.  (From Nuneato News and Peter Lee)

    

Here’s a shot I took a few years ago. 


The mono shot is the better of the two in my mind for a couple of reasons; one it’s a better exposed shot and two, the town looks a lot more friendly at that time.  Now the place is cold and looks the same as any other town really. Good bye Dorktown, it’s been good to have known you when you really did shine.

Kile is due here after school and will stay here with us until Monday when he goes off to school from here, and then home after school. I hope he isn’t hoping to go off anywhere for a day, we won’t be going anywhere. Mind you, he does still enjoy coming here for the peace and quiet away from brother Billy, who can be a bit of handful at times. We shall try him out with a chip batch today. I found some rather large batches in Farmfoods on Tuesday and then bought some of our normal frozen southern fried chips. Jan and me are looking forward to them so I hope he is OK with that too. Tomorrow is a rice day for me n him, and Sunday will have a roast chicken dinner. That should keep him happy.
Days out with Kile will be less now anyway. I did our shopping on my own on Tuesday because Jan was feeling off after her day out on Monday. By the time I got home, I was really tired out, so much so that I said we needed to do it together now. Wednesday we went out together, and just had a drive around and walked around a few places we wanted to go to. Overall, we were out for about five hours.

On Tuesday morning Jan had suggested that I had a day out by myself sometime in the next few weeks But I said I no longer felt up to it, simply because of me getting so damned tired.  While were out she on Wednesday Jan was watching me and eventually she said that she could see why I didn’t want to go out by myself in the car anymore. My gait and walking ability are certainly not as good as they once were. Shame that really.

Today’s photo then … 

Could it be anything else than my shot of the Queens Road entrance to the Co-op? At least this one is listed.

Today’s funny …
Two old guys were sitting under a tree, watching the sun go down. One says, "You know, I'm 84 years old and my body is full of aches and pains. You're about my age. How do you feel?"
The other guy says, "Oh, I feel like a newborn baby."
"Really," says the first guy.
"Yep," says the second one. "No teeth, no hair and I think I just wet my pants."

No comments:

Post a Comment