Thursday 4 February 2016

Waiting to repeat again, and again, and a...


4 February



Our car has just been collected for its annual service, it will be back by 4pm. I’m not sure how long we will keep it though. An item on the news last showed a young woman who uses an adapted Motability lease car and has now it’s been taken off her. Whoever is doing the reassessments have said that her disability is as bad as before when she given the mobility component of DLA. That seems odd to me seeing as she still can’t walk more than 20 metres, hasn’t grown in height, and still has the disabling condition she had before when first awarded the benefit.



The lass works and needs her car to continue to work and will left more or less housebound. This decision is going to be appealed where 50% of appeals are upheld. That seems to indicate that there is a serious problem with the new assessments. The muppet minister who is responsible for the disabled tried to paint a positive, just as Daft Dave did the other day too. But basically, they just don’t give a damn for the claimants. I would have hoped that Daft Dave would know better seeing as he had a disabled son himself, but no, he too doesn’t care.



So where does that leave the rest of us? Sitting at home wondering when we be next and lose our car, that’s where! I’ve written about this before and I don’t really wish to do so again. It’s like so many other issues where it is possible to say there’s an element of ‘sumat for nowt’ on display. But even Mad Maggie didn’t dare touch DLA except to increase payments. It struck me a few days ago that the current lot were trying to out Thatcher Mad Maggie, and by the looks of it, they have managed it, and it will get a whole lot worse before it gets any better.



Last night we sat and watched Edge of Tomorrow, a Tom Cruise movie where he gets stuck in a time loop of dying and coming back. Does the time loop plot sound familiar? It should do, there’s been more than few of them. Dan Murry has played in two of them; another I can remember is based on a train wreck that a man is sent back to time after time in an effort to prevent it happening. Ground Hog Day I’ve never really fancied simply because of Murry, I don’t like him at all. But back to the one I started this paragraph with. I liked it but Jan wasn’t all that fussed.



At each re-birth the lead guy moves forward in some small way, he had to prevent it from becoming boring. In the end though, he wins out. The acting was OK I suppose, but there is one duff note in the dialogue though. A general orders the lead to go into combat but in a later part of the film, supposedly only one day after giving the order, the general says he’s surprised to see him back in his office but as one his most decorated soldiers. But how could that happen and how could decorations could be awarded before the battle actually happened? Nope, not possible is it?



And speaking of Cruise; another of his films is Jack Reacher, (and I’ve just learned there is another Reacher film out too), based on a book by Lee Child. In the Works a few weeks ago I found one of Child’s books in their three for a fiver offer; now I’m just short of halfway through it, and I have to admit that I’m enjoying it. I shall be on the lookout for more as I go about. The book read immediately before the current Child was another new writer for me, Stuart Neville, the book The Twelve. I’ve done a review of it and posted it on the For Reading Addicts Facebook group. Last night I actually found and bought the follow-up to it. It sits on me kindle waiting to be read. Stuart Neville is worth giving a go my friends.



The sparky was due here by 8.30 we were told yesterday, yet here it is, 10am and he’s still not here. Jan thinks we were told 1pm, so whatever time he was due I’ll be pleased to see him so we can have a quiet afternoon, at least until Kile gets here. Jan will take him home once the car is returned to us.



Workers at work, it’s another photo subject folks, so here’s a window cleaner …




Today’s funny … another groaner …



What type of bird works on a building site?
A crane.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment