Tuesday 9 February 2016

On work and writing


9 February



Now that was bracing – NOT! There we were, up at 7.30 yesterday morning ready for an early start for the workers; and they didn’t turn up. So last night we decided that we would not be getting up early today, and there they were at 7.40 ringing the door bell, ready to start. We were still in bed, fast on, so it was a very fast getting up for us, far too fast, and top of not settling until nearly 1am, it’s no wonder we’re both struggling. They said they should be finished by 10.30. That will be good at least.



After all my mumbles about not writing the other day, I sat down and did quite a bit. My plan was to do more yesterday, but once again, life got in the way. Jan is out tonight so hopefully I shall get more done then. No idea what the work count is now, but as I’ve read in so many places from so many other writers, it’s always a thrill when my characters and story line do something that surprises even me – and created them!



‘How can that be?’ you might ask. It’s all part of the writing and process and the story grows. Now I have another earthquake and volcano along with a pyroclastic cloud and Tsunami, which hasn’t struck yet and so far I’m sure what will happen when it does. Then two groups of characters decided to try to meet-up and help each other. Good job a keep a running summary of the story line on a separate sheet otherwise I would be well and truly lost with it. I just hope later readers won’t get lost too. Mind you, if they can keep the Game of Thrones story line straight, they should manage mine easily enough.



Again I’ve read of a lot of writers who actually sit and plan their books down to the very last full stop. I have a feeling though that that would stifle me during the writing. Yes, yes, I know what I’ve said about not being able to get on a write at times, but how would things surprise me if I was working to a plan. I’ve seen plans for one of the one Parry Hotters and there’s another one in a recent magazine I was reading. Both are contained in a grid of boxes, most of them full of hand written notes. But I wonder, is that grid done before the actually story is begun, or is it completed as the story grows? Whatever, we all have our own ways of working and mine works for me, so I’m sticking to it.    



Anyway, here I am with two or three part written stories and I’m still getting ideas for new ones. A couple of months ago I met and old school friend in Asda and we stood chatting for a while. Then she mentioned one of our teachers and how nasty and spiteful he was, along with being a bully. I got home and as I sat thinking of other things it struck me there was a story in how that man behaved and how his pupils/victims decided that it was time for revenge. My note book has lots of things like that in it … wherever that is. I remember putting it away yesterday but right now, I can’t remember where I put it!



It looks like the work is done for today, at least they are clearer up and taking their tools back to the van. We’re happy with that but I have noticed that the cupboards that have gone in are a lot smaller than the ones they took out. We shall fun trying to fit everything back in them. But when I think about it, we have far too much anyway. Years ago I bought a glass when we had a friend come up for the weekend. It’s never been used since, so as we emptied the cupboards for them to start, that is one of the many items that found its way to the charity shop.



That shop has had a lot of stuff off us since we moved in here, and I think there will be even more before long. And as I pay tax on my army pension, I can Gift-aid it and they make even more money. I think the government doesn’t get a lot of that tax I pay, or at least I hope it doesn’t. Tax evasion? Maybe, but it’s legal and I don’t gain from it personally. And anyway, if Google can do it and gain from it, why I can’t I and everyone else?

    

Today’s photo …

Growing up?



Today’s funny groaner …



What type of bird flies in formation, and releases red, white and blue smoke?
The red sparrows.

No comments:

Post a Comment