Tuesday 11 August 2015

Powers of Light vs Powers of Darkness



11 August

I have a question; why is evil portrayed as being dark or black do you think? This question came to me last night while reading the LOR book. Sauron is called the Lord of Darkness; old Voldi is called the Dark Lord, and of course, don’t forget the Dark Side of the Force in Star Wars. Something else comes to mind; why are these evils always happening, in the main during the hours of night? Let me go back many years for now …

While I was at school I was very active in the local Sunday School and attended as many of the services as I could. A lot of the villagers thought that I would eventually go in to the Anglican ministry. Oh dear, I left school in 1964 and the full force of living in the world hit me like a hammer. It was a big shock (and one that probably hit a lot of other kids at that time too.) I was working and earning a wage and the world was full of temptations.

One day I caught the works bus into Coventry instead of going home via Dorktown. I had a three hour wait for a bus home so I went a walk around the city centre, and there I found a book shop, and I my love of books and reading began. One the first books I bought was Dennis Wheatly’s The Devil Rides Out, and in that one I found something entirely new to me, and something that completely changed me.

From believing in God as the Bible teaches us, I moved to being a believer in the Powers of Light and the Powers of Darkness, forever at war over the souls of mankind, with the Powers of light always winning. See what I mean? The Powers of Darkness yet again. That book was read in around 1965/6 time, I can’t really remember when, but it have a gold over me for a long time, actually twenty years. Over those years I read a lot of similar books and had gathered a lot information about the darkness, and yet I didn’t find the answer to my initial question.

Have you read 1984? I did and enjoyed it too, and when 1984 came round I was completely changed again. Our next door neighbour invited us to a smaller version, but part of the Billy Graham Mission England of 1984. And at long last I came to realise that I had not taken a lot of Wheatly’s warnings about the dangers of darkness. Light finally got through to me at that event. Within months Jan and I became members of the church where the mission was held, and a little later we both baptised as believers.

For one reason or another I am no longer involved in any church and haven’t been for many years now. I still have my faith but now I don’t make a fuss about it and keep quietly it myself. That’s not ideal according to church doctrine, but top and bottom of it, I really can’t be bothered with all the froth and fizziness of going to church. And yet my question has never really been answered. I suppose now it never will.

Today’s photo … 

Manor Court Baptist Church, where the Light found me.        

Today’s funny is from our friendly Sage …

A couple has a dog that snores. Annoyed because she can't sleep, the wife goes to the vet to see if he can help. The vet tells the woman to tie a ribbon around the dog's testicles, and he will stop snoring. 'Yeah right!' she says. The wife tosses and turns, unable to sleep. Muttering to herself, she goes to the closet and grabs a piece of red ribbon and ties it carefully around the dog's testicles.
Sure enough, the dog stops snoring.

The woman is amazed. Later that night, her husband returns home drunk from being out drinking with his buddies. He climbs into bed, falls asleep and immediately begins snoring loudly. The woman decides maybe the ribbon might work on him. So, she goes to the closet again, grabs a piece of blue ribbon and
ties it around her husband's testicles. Amazingly, it also works on him! The woman sleeps soundly.

The husband wakes from his drunken stupor and stumbles into the bathroom.
As he stands in front of the toilet, he glances in the mirror and sees a blue ribbon attached to his privates. He is very confused, and as he walks back into the bedroom, he sees the red ribbon attached to his dog's testicles..

He shakes his head and looks at the dog and whispers, 'I don't know where we were or what we did, but, by God we took FIRST and SECOND place!

No comments:

Post a Comment