Thursday 27 August 2015

Now lamps for old the mind exchange store



27 August

Years and years ago, while I was still in secondary school, I remember my mother saying to me, ‘I don’t have to worry about you hanging yourself; you keep changing your mind.’ Well, she was right actually, and I’m still the same. What has happened to bring this one too mind today; well, I went through to bed as normal last night as usual and I saw a now David Baldacci book in my TBR pile, one of the three I bought in The Works a few weeks ago. This one called is First Family and is about a murder/kidnap in the extended family of the First Lady. A second kidnap happens soon after, but is it related, I think so. Anyway, instead of starting the next Game of Throne book, I decided to go for First Family instead, and it’s a lot easier read too.

But it’s strange how we get thoughts and so on come to mind isn’t it. There I am almost dropping off, when for some daft reason I thought of Aladdin and his lamp; yes, I know, daft eh. I quickly made a note of it seeing as I would have forgotten it if I hadn’t. After that my mind kept on going around the three wishes theme. What would I ask for if I was given the chance? First thought was wealth, health and happiness. Then I had second thoughts (see, change of mind again), what good would health, wealth and happiness be if I snuffed during that night?

Maybe a longer and more useful life should make two choices; fine as long as you were young enough to enjoy such a long life. Hang on though, by what measure will a long life and useful life be measured? Perhaps by extending your life by just a couple of days, you will have got your longer life, and by being an organ donor you could said to have lived a useful life.

And then JK came along and gave us another version of the three wishes, the Deathly Hollows. In this one, the three wishes are given to three brothers who had cheated Death, one each. The first brother wishes for a stone to bring the love of his life who died young, and he is granted his wish. The second brother asks for the most powerful magic wand ever made, and he too gets his wish. The last brother asks for a cloak of invisibility, and he gets his cloak.

Soon enough the bothers die off. The first one kills himself after his lost life comes back to life but is lifeless in nature. The second brother kills a number of other wizards and he himself gets murdered and his wand is stolen. Finally, the third brother gives he clock to his son and Death sees him and takes him. The wish giver still wins in the end. See what I mean, these wishes are perhaps not such a good idea after all. Maybe the we should all be happy with our lives as they are now, and not wish for better things, unless that is, we actually earn them.

Coming back to reality though, there is a marked lack of school places throughout the UK. Here in Dorktown we have lost Manor Park Grammar School. When it closed the pupils were split between Alderman Smith, which then became an academy, and Etone schools. A large primary school closed and the kids were sent to various other schools in the area, some a good way from the closed school with kids having to cross at two major roads. Locals are trying hard to save that building, but why bother when it’s been empty since the 1990s? So much for census results then eh!

Today’s photo … 

Shaded seats.

And today’s funny …
A boss asked one of his employees, "Do you believe in life after death?"
"Yes, sir," replied the new employee.
"I thought you would," said the boss. "Yesterday after you left to go to your grandmother's funeral, she stopped in to see you!"

No comments:

Post a Comment