Monday 30 January 2012

Slightly better ... but not brilliant

30 January 2012

Saturday morning I could feel I had what I thought was a head cold coming on.  By Saturday evening I knew I was in for a rough time.  Yesterday I was feeling so bad I could hardly move let alone sit and type on me blog.  Today isn't quite so bad but I'm still not anywhere near right.  I'm due to the GP today anyway but I don't know what he will say when he sees me as I am right now. 

So then, the News ...  I got excited looking at the front page this morning.  Feeling poorly or not the chance of a night heron near abouts would have taken precedence.  Sadly though, it's an escapee from Twycross Zoo out on the A444 so I won't be rushing out; escapees are not allowed on the British List.  On a similar vein, I was planning in taking part on the RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch this year.  As it worked out I could hardly see across the room, let alone the length on the back garden!  Did any of you good folks take part?  Apparently half a million people do making the largest birdwatching event in the world and giving a lot of information about how Britain's bird life is doing.  And it's not just what birds you see that counts.  Those that are not seen are just as important and can be deduced from the lists sent in.  All good stuff for 'puters to number crunch with.

No matter what the future of the Hussy Hospital is, currently complaints there are on the increase.  Management are blaming a report that showed the Hussy was bottom of the list with the highest death rate in the England.  I would hazard a guess though that not many of the complainants know about that report, I certainly didn't before today.  My major quibble with them is about wasted time and effort.  A few years ago I had to have two day procedures done.  They are normally done on the Day Care ward.  So having seen the general surgeon I was told that I had to go and speak to someone about making an appointments for each one.  OK, fine. 

But before I saw the surgeon I had sat with a nurse who had taken a medical history, even though she wrote it down on a fresh sheet in my records folder.  So off I went and had to go through the whole lot again.  And again when I got the next place too.  I complained and was told that things might change by the time I had got from one department to another.  My reply was simple.  "Yes it did!  Mt stress levels and blood pressure went through the roof having to repeat everything three times within an hour!"  I don't get any reply from that one.

Another time I turned up for an x-ray and was sitting in the waiting room having booked in, and sat trying to read a book I had taken with me but found it hard to do so because of the chatter and laughing from the staff standing around gossiping about an upcoming wedding.  When I was now 20 minutes late, I asked when I would be done and was told that they had to wait for a doctor to arrive.  Five minutes later I was taken through and done without a doctor.  Now I know why the NHS costs so much to run!

Remember what I said about beat bobbies in the town on Saturday?  Well, there's a piece in the News about it today.  I'm not sure about the number quoted in the piece, or perhaps it's the way they are quoted that makes it look odd.  I mean, did Warwickshire ever have 135,838 police officers?  I doubt it!  Not so long ago there was big fuss made over selfish paring in the town centre and the employment of parking wardens to be shared between Dorktown and Rugby.  Well, I haven't seen any of them in Dorktown, so where are they?  Perhaps they have gone to big car park in the sky? No one knows.

Today's photo then ... 

is of one of the colleges in Cambridge.  I spent two years in Cambridge while in the Army and loved every minute of it - what I could remember of it that wasn't cloudy by drunken stupor ;-)))

And finally, from the Sage ...
The following is an actual question given on a University of Liverpool chemistry final exam.

The answer by one student was so “profound” that the professor shared it with colleagues on the Internet, which is why we now have the pleasure of enjoying it as well.

Question: Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)?

Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle’s Law that gas cools when it expands and heats when it is compressed or some variant.

One student, however, wrote the following:

First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So we need to know the rate at which souls are moving into Hell and the rate at which they are leaving. I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving. As for how many souls are entering Hell, let’s look at the different religions that exist in the world today. Most of these religions state that, if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell.

Since there is more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to Hell. With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially. Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell. Because Boyle’s Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay constant, the volume of Hell must expand proportionately as souls are added.

This gives two possibilities:

1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose.

2. If Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over.

So which is it?

If we accept the postulate given to me by Sandra during my freshman year, that “it will be a cold day in Hell before I sleep with you,” and take into account the fact that I slept with her last night, then number 2 must be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is endothermic and has already frozen over.

The corollary of this theory is that since Hell has frozen over, it follows that it is not accepting any more souls and is extinct…leaving only Heaven, thereby proving the existence of a divine being - which explains why, last night, Sandra kept shouting “Oh God, please, somebody help me!”

THIS STUDENT RECEIVED THE ONLY “A”.

No comments:

Post a Comment