Wednesday 23 November 2016

Our libraries


23 November


Since 2010 we have lost so many local libraries that I wouldn’t know where to start to count them. And yet I wonder … Just how many of us actually use our library? I know I didn’t, and I still don’t all that much. The reason for me is that I like to keep books when I’ve read them, you can’t do that with library books; well, you can, but you risk getting an increasing fine by doing so. But think about it my friends; books are so cheap these days and once we have bought them we can choose what to do with them. You will never ‘own’ a library book in the same physical way as the one you buy from a shop, and there’s part of the problem as to why so many libraries have closed – lack of users.


But is it all down to Joe Public not using the library? There may be an ease of access issue here too. I’ve just had a look at the opening times for our library, they open at 9am and close at 6pm, and what are most people doing at that time of day? They’re at work five days a week. It’s open on Saturday for the same hours and again on Sunday for just four hours. I would suggest that most people of working age have planned their time off to spend more time with the families or on their hobbies. Most day time users are retired folk I suggest.


Even a trip to the supermarket can see you buying a paperback for £4. In fact, I bought Stephen King’s, The Bazar of Bad Dreams for £4 from Asda last week. Charity shops are even cheaper of course. Today is market day where there’s a stall sells cheap paperbacks, £2 each, and there’s another one two on the Saturday market too. Oh yes, don’t forget The Works where there 3 for a fiver is back. And don’t forget on-lines sales either.


All this may seem a rather  gloomy picture of what is happening to our libraries; but you know what, it’s not that bad at all really. Whenever I’ve been in our library the place always seems busy. Mainly that’s due to the number of people using the computers in there, however, there’s a pretty good selection of magazines on display and the tables close to that section always seems crowed too, there and the newspaper stand.


Unfortunately, Dorktown doesn’t have an independent book shop, only a rather small Waterstones. That’s fine of course I do use it even if the selection is rather small, but they are willing to order and item for you. Our nearest independent books shop is in Coventry, but unless you can park outside, it’s not in the easiest location to get to, and that’s a shame really. One thing I have noticed is that there is an even smaller choice when it comes to audio books, and large print books. And that is where our libraries score well, until we come back to the opening times though.


My use of the library has been mainly for research for various projects I’ve had on over the years. The local history section is superb, and I’ve always found the staff in there very helpful and knowledgeable. Now I have found out that I can take my lappy down there and work in there with few if any distractions, something I am looking forward to doing when I get the chance.

Overall then, our libraries do serve a useful purpose; such a pity that so many have been closed so that even more tax breaks can be given to the rich and famous!

Today’s photo …

The flying terrors.


Today’s funny …


A man takes his Great Dane to the vet. "My dog's cross eyed. Is there anything you can do for him?"
"Well," says the vet, "let's have a look at him" So he picks the dog up and examines his eyes, then checks his teeth. Finally, he says "I'm going to have to put him down."
"What? Because he's cross-eyed?"
"No, because he's really heavy."
          

No comments:

Post a Comment