Tuesday 15 November 2016

A nation of animal lovers?


15 November


My appointment with the GP went off OK yesterday afternoon, and Jan went in with me for this one. The lass I saw was pleasant and after reading the various letters and so on, on my records she was happy for me to reapply for my driving licence. Then she had a thought, ‘It is just to drive a car isn’t it? Not bus of trucks?’ Since then I have printed the form off from DVLA website and that will get filled in later today and in the post too. As for the MCI thing, she wasn’t worried about that at all. As Jan said, the few problems I had were all sorted by the B12 injections I’ve been having.


We shall soon have the RSPCA on our backs my friends; I forgot to feed the fish yesterday. Mind you, a few of the books on fish keeping I’ve read, have all agreed that you should starve them for a day every so often, it makes them hunt for any food that might be on the bottom of the tank. Of course, I’m exaggerating more than a bit there with the RSPCA being on our backs, I’m sure they have far worse things to attend to.


Actually, the North Warwickshire area is probably one of the worst area for wildlife crime in the Midlands. Or at least, that used to be the case a few years ago. There seemed to be regular reports in the local press of how some yob or other had shot a duck or a swam and so on. As a kid I remember someone telling me that they had tied two cats into a sack and threw them in a river. I wasn’t the brightest spark in the world at that time but I did know there was no river anywhere near us, so that was written off as boast. But you know what, it did actually happened a few years ago in Polesworth, just of the A5 north-west of here.


On-line petitions have become a real pain in the rear end these days and I ignore them all, well most all of them anyway. The ones I do take notice of are the ones that are listed on the gov.uk site. The latest one I’ve have signed is the one demanding an end to the UK ivory trade, which seems to be fuelling the illegal trade in poached ivory. The other major issue is that of rhino horn. It won’t be long before the only elephants and rhinos we can see will be in zoos, there won’t be any wild ones left. What will the poachers go after that? Cats and dogs for their coats? Who knows, I don’t.


You have no doubt heard the saying, ‘dead as a dodo.’ Well, it was men that killed them all. Why did it happen? The bird couldn’t really fly, it just stood there as it was killed. To start with the killers saw them as a meat source, but in reality they were tuff and tasted pretty bad. And yet they still went on and killed them all, but why? They were no harm to anyone, they were just there and were easy game to kill. That’s why! Plain and simple, mankind has a built in blood thirst, and dodos met the men’s need at that time.                 


We do tend to watch a lot of the animal rescue shows on telly, and it amazes me that a country founded on the backs of horses allows people to keep them without any sort of registration. Some of these horses are in a shocking state when they are found. I remember one with a fist size hole in its neck; another one had broken a leg and was left to suffer in pain for some time before the owner got a vet out put the animal down.


Animal cruelty is rife in our world. All we can do is the report any instances of it we see. That is not ‘grassing,’ it’s our duty in this cruel world we live in. We have supposed to have advanced a long way now, but at times I wonder just how far we have done so when I see the pictures of suffering animals. The bright spots are when someone see what’s happening and steps in to help. That is what we all should be doing.


Today’s photo …

My dinner last night.


Today’s funny …


What do you get when you play a country song backwards?
You get your house back, your car back, your woman back, and you get your whole life back.

No comments:

Post a Comment