Friday 18 November 2016

On shopping in Brum.


18 November


Here’s a link to our local BBC News - https://www.facebook.com/midlandstoday/  that I shared yesterday, only to find out that the Christmas Market opened yesterday too. We used to go over there for it every year until one Sunday afternoon we took Kile over there on the opening day. Kile was frightened half to death, poor lad, he just doesn’t like large crowds. Jan and I not keen on them either. We haven’t been over since. Today we were heading to Brum today anyway but even with the Crimble Market on, we are still going. The areas I’m interested in around the city centre isn’t involved with the Market, so we will be heading off over there anyway. So we are up earlier than normal ready to set off after I’ve made few phone calls after 10am.


If the report link has the interviews with shoppers as well as the film of the stalls being built, you will notice that there are a number of varying views on the good on display. One shopper made the point that the goods on sale are exactly the same range as last year, and the year before that, and … well, you get the idea I’m sure. When lived in Atherton we went to the Manchester version that year, where the same goods were on sale there too. Not only that, the prices are very high in both cities.


However, I do like some of the food that’s on sale, and of course, the beer, but I’m off the booze altogether now. We have bought some of the candies they sell, and once some of the hard cheeses they sell. Neither of us liked the candies (bland and flavourless), the cheese was fine but Jan only likes mild crumbly cheese; however, we haven’t seen the cheese since that one time. One thing I do fancy is the apple strudel, but at £3 a slice, and not a large slice either, I’m not willing to pay that much for it. Mind you, there is one big thing favour of the Market, it’s the photo opps is provides, especially at night time.


One thing that Brum does have is the first class markets in the Bull Ring area. There I was the other night reading about Dr Tony Hill trying to help catch an escaped murderer and he runs off and buys himself cod and chips. I mentioned that yesterday too, and Brum also has some excellent chips too. Then last night I was reading the current issue of Writing Magazine and someone mentioned a roast lamb Sunday dinner. Oh dear; we haven’t had one for a long time now, so I shall be looking on the market for decent chunk of lamb leg for this coming Sunday.   


These phone calls I mentioned; one is to the Hussey vampire hall to get some fasting blood tests done. Then it’s back to the GP to find out the name of the surgeon who did my back op. I need that to fill in my application to get my licence back. I also need to rearrange my diabetic clinic appointment seeing as I’ve not had the blood done yet.


Jan has her mind set on buying Series 6 of Game of Thrones.  I don’t mind that seeing as I have enjoyed watching them too. The books however, well, I gave up on vol 5 about halfway through. I will return to it later I’m sure. The WH Smiths in Brum is a big store, and with its own Costas’ too. Hopefully that means a larger range of magazine to choose from, which should be fine, at least better than the one here in Dorktown.


And so we come to today’s photo …


I’m sure he would look better sliced on a plate.


Today’s funny …


Two fonts walked into a bar. The bartender said, ''sorry I can't serve you, we don't want your type in here.''    

No comments:

Post a Comment