Sunday 25 May 2014

Disturbed again, council housing and who will we get next?



25 May

After a week of peace and quiet Jan was disturbed yet again by people trying to break in to the flat above us. I slept through it this time and didn’t know anything about it until I had to go pee and she told me about then. What amazes me is that this same two men haven’t learned that whenever they try to get in ourselves and the lass opposite will phone for the cops. Perhaps they have learned but just don’t care? I don’t know but I am concerned as to how much effect it is having on Jan. We will both be happy when the council have it all sorted up there. But there’s a draw back there too.

This is the second ground floor flat we have had. Our first one was on the other side of town in a brand new block of eight flats. We were the second family to move in. Slowly the other six were taken too and we hoped that things would be OK for all of us – how silly of me! The couple above us was a real mix of natures. She was OK, quiet and pleasant; he was loud and obnoxious and really nosey. Opposite him was another mixed, but elderly couple. The woman was fine, he was a real pain in arse!

He was OK until he didn’t get everything his way, like not having kids playing outside on the grass. We wouldn’t stop our lad from having his friends round to play and he hated that. Then two fire engines turned up at the sheltered complex beside our block. It was a fire drill but old George, he didn’t like that at all. He went out taking photos of the fire-fighters and he too the prints to the council to complain. He got short shrift that time!

Next we saw him walking around taking photos of the kids playing. As with most kids, one look at the camera and they began posing for it. When I saw it I didn’t pose at all, but I did warn him that if I saw or found out about him taking photos of any kids again, let alone our son, I would call the cops. George didn’t like that either. I was going out one time and I heard him and Roy, they guy above me moaning about us because he had been threatened with the cops. I closed out door and the conversation stopped. Mind you, I didn’t help at that point by saying, ‘Go on the George, carry on. You’ll do so once I’m out of the way anyway.’

George died just after he and his wife had been given a place in sheltered housing somewhere. A few weeks later and another couple moved in. They also seemed OK, to start with that is. They both worked and they left together to head off for work, fine. But every night they went out drinking and wouldn’t turn up quite the worse for the booze and making a lot of noise, sometimes turned midnight!

The top and bottom of all this is that we just don’t know who we will get above us next. Hopefully the council will have learned to be more selective in who they allow up they there. Considering that the ground floor flat are for elderly/ill/disabled people and are ‘support’ flats (that is we have pull cords in every room to summon help 24 hours a day if we need it), they will be more careful in who they allow in.

But even that is not so easy these. The council housing allocation system has changed a lot over the years. The idea was to do away with the so-called waiting list. The system not requires all applicants to look at the properties that are made available every week and to ‘bid’ on them. A computer program records those bids and a list is produced after the bids are closed. The top name on the list is first offered the property … and so on. Basically, the waiting list is still there but it’s got a new name now, that all.

With this system then, in theory whoever is top of the list will be offered the flat above us. How they are going to deal with this I don’t know. More worrying to me is that the council is a slow learner. It could take a long time for them to learn the lesson that is clear in this case, that is, be careful who allow to live near to vulnerable people.

Yes, well … enough; it’s time for a photo … 

Market shoppers from a week ago yesterday.

And today’s funny …

I was working in Manhattan, flying a sightseeing small aircraft. When the first group of tourists arrived I asked them, “Have you ever flown on a small airplane before?” “No!” They replied. So I took out a pack of gum and told them all to take a piece to keep their ears from popping. After we landed, I asked everyone if they enjoyed, and one Blonde lady comes over and asks, “That gum did wonders, but how do I get it out of my ears?”

No comments:

Post a Comment