Saturday 17 May 2014

A nice in to town, showing and telling and cup final day again - sadly!!!



17 May

Just got in from a ride into town on our scooters. Yet again we have had a great day out together and ended up at the Anker where we learned that the bloody cup final was on telly. I’d just settled in a for good session on a Welch real ale was very good indeed. Ah well, I shall have to make do with a drop of malt later on this evening.

Last night I finished reading through Shipshape again. The words from others about the difference between ‘telling and showing’ came to mind. OK, fine … but I still haven’t got a grip of the difference if I’m honest. Thing is, telling is what I have always thought that writers do; they are telling a tale, not showing you how it happened.

Something else I keep noticing is the grammar that I hear on a regular basis on the telly and read in the mags and papers. Some of these are real howlers and the writers should know better. As per normal though, I can’t remember or find any examples of them.  Ah well … I shall look for and keep one for posting later.

It’s Saturday, which means its history day. How often have bought your kids one of those fancy balloons on a string at some event or other? I know we have loads of time. Well, we can thank one Sir Norman Lockyer for those balloons. He is the man who discovered helium in 1836. This Rugby born man was an astronomer; talk about from one extreme to t’ther! He looked at the whole of space and found an element that has been of use for many of us – even if it wasted dosh when the kids let go of the string holding their balloon.

Today’s photo then … Well, two actually; Here’s my T-bone steak before it went into the pan … 

and here it is after a few minutes in the pan … 

It was served with a baked jacket tatty and a side salad, and it was very nice indeed.

Today’s funny is about lawyers …

A lawyer was walking down the street when he saw two cars crashing into each other, rushing over he said, “I saw everything I can take either side!”

No comments:

Post a Comment