Monday 20 August 2012

Peanuts, Birdfair and a days birding

20 August 2012

I'm back folks - just, but here.  After Saturday at Newport Wetlands I got home absolutely shattered.  Yesterday morning I got up but really didn't feel like going to Birdfair.  Jan talked me into going saying that if I didn't I'd be kicking myself for not going.  Well, I did go and it was an OK day, nothing special but OK.  I got a book I was looking for mind, Birds Britannia, looking forward to reading that after seeing the telly series based on it.  I got home shattered.  This morning I felt a lot better after a good night's sleep.

On the way home on Saturday we called into Gloucester for a look around.  We were pretty well under whelmed by the place.  Somewhere we will not be rushing back to!  Newport Wetlands was pretty good  even with the tide being far out.  There were a lot of smaller waders right out at the water's edge but it was just too far to see what they were.  Well worth a second visit later - but I shall make of the tide times for that visit.

We had mail waiting for us when we got back of course.  A card to say that the posty had tried to deliver a package and we would need to collect it from the sorting office in town.  We also had a letter from the estate agents saying that the sale was still going on with a completion date of 1 October at the latest.  The sooner the better for us; we just want it over and done with!
Photos were taken on both days over the weekend but I've done nothing with them yet.  So here one of Jan meeting Bill Oddie a good few years ago at Birdfair.
 
Here's a nutty funny ...

One evening a man was at home watching TV and eating peanuts. He'd toss one in the air, then catch it in his mouth. In the middle of
catching one, his wife asked a question, and as he turned to answer her, the peanut fell into his ear.
He tried and tried to dig it out but succeeded only in pushing it in deeper. His
wife tried to help, but after hours of trying they became worried and decided to go to the hospital. As they were ready to go out the door, their daughter came home with her date. After being informed of the problem, their daughter's date said he could get the peanut out.

The young man told the father to sit down, then shoved two fingers up the father's nose and told him to blow hard. When the father blew, the peanut flew out.
The mother and daughter jumped and yelled for joy. The young man insisted that it was nothing and the daughter brought the young man out to the kitchen for something to eat.
Once he was gone the mother turned to the father and said, "That's wonderful - isn't he smart? What do you think he's going to be when he grows older?" The father replied, "From the smell of his fingers, our son-in-law!"

No comments:

Post a Comment