Monday 27 August 2012

Bible verse, Bank Holdays and me scooter

27 August 2012

Bank Holiday Monday, thankfully the last one until Crimble.  Why don't I like them?  Simply because I feel that banks, the only business that closes on these days (apart from Dec 25th), and I don't think they deserve to have these extra days off.  No-one else does so why should they.  It also plays havoc on the roads and in families where there are kids and childcare needs to be sort cos the parents are likely to have keep on working over them.  I wonder just how much these days cost the economy.

For some reason we have a Dorktown Telegraph this morning.  I know the News isn't published on Bank Holiday Monday so perhaps that's why.  Normally we only get the Telegraph on Saturday's so I was rather pleased to find another 'On This Day in ... ' column.  My car runs on diesel along with all the HGV trucks in the country.  Other's run on petrol.  Where would we be without oil based products?  Plastics are also oil based and don't forget all the oil and grease needed for machinery to run smoothly.  So do we celebrate the sinking of the first oil well in Titusville, Pennsylvania.  How much do we now owe Edwin Drake who sank that well?  Quite a lot really - including all the pollution that oil based products have caused.  It's not a legacy I would want!

So now it's photo time.  Another Birdfair shot today but this time as I was getting ready to leave.  Parked next to my Golf estate was a BMW motorbike - what a beauty.  It wasn't until I got home and looked at the shots on the computer that I realised that I could have done a lot better with this one ... 

just a short movement on my part would have included all my scooter and not just part of it ... ah well.  It does though show the dream and reality of life for some of us.
  
And a churchy funny today again ...

A priest offered a lift to a Nun. She got in and crossed her legs,
forcing her gown to reveal a leg. The priest nearly had an accident.
After controlling the car, he stealthily slid his hand up her leg. The
nun said, "Father, remember Psalm 129?" The priest removed his
hand. But, changing gears, he let his hand slide up her leg again. The
nun once again said, "Father, do you remember Psalm 129?" The priest
apologized "Sorry sister but the flesh is weak." Arriving at the convent, the nun went on her way.
On his arrival at the church, the priest rushed to look up Psalm 129.
It said, "Go forth and seek, further up, you will find glory."
Moral of the story: If you are not well informed in your job, you might miss a great opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment