Sunday 5 August 2012

An ice cream, a flower and the Games

5 August 2012

Guess what?  O got so wrapped up with the rowing and so on yesterday on the telly, I totally forgot to write this blog.  I'm impressed with Team GB's efforts and medal tally so for but for sheer effort I would give a second gold to the rows and the heptathlon girl Jessica Ennis.  So what about today then?  Well, I'm not much on tennis and have no time at all for men boxing, let alone ladies!  But there yer go - each to their own I suppose.

The weather is doing its best to try to spoil the fun of the Games.  Sadly it's managed it in a number of places yet again.  Here in Dorktown we've had one really good downpour and a few showers.  We rarely get much in the way of extreme weather, for which I'm sure we are thankful for.  The Environment Agency flood maps don't show any flood risk in this part of the town thankfully.

I've managed to get a couple of thousand more words done to Photo Finish and I now know where I'm going with it, well, sort of anyway.  I sent one guy to Auss as a £10 Pom in the early '60s and I'm thinking of bring him back - but will he be a badie or goodie?  Now that is a good question.  When I was a kid I was given a Puffin book called Flight 1 - Australia.  I loved that book and at one time I knew it word for word.  Because of that book I became fascinated by the place and have always wanted to go there.  In fact at one time I was looking at becoming a £10 Pom myself.  Instead I joined the Army.  One of my school mates did go over there, to Perth actually and as far as I know he's never been back.  I spoke to his mum a few years ago and she was saying she hadn't heard from him for the prior 5 or 6 years.  Sad that ... ... ...

So what sort of photo for today then ... 

I am informed that it's called Himalayan Balsam.  It's supposed to be spreading all over the place and this one was at Kingsbury Water Park some 15 years ago.  I've not seen much of it since then though.

And this is a cracker ...

A teacher asks her class, ''If there are 5 birds sitting on a fence and you shoot one of them, how many will be left?'' She calls on little Johnny.
''None, they all fly away with the first gunshot.''
The teacher replies, ''The correct answer is 4, but I like your thinking.''
Then Little Johnny says, ''I have a question for YOU. There are three women sitting on a bench having ice cream. One is delicately licking the sides of the triple scoop of ice cream. The second is gobbling down the top and sucking the cone. The third is biting off the top of the ice cream. Which one is married?''
The teacher, blushing a great deal, replies, ''Well I suppose the one that's gobbled down the top and sucked the cone.''
Little Johnny replies, ''The correct answer is the one with the wedding ring on...but I like your thinking.''      

No comments:

Post a Comment