Sunday 5 October 2014

Photo clubs, photo fashions and bloody judges!



5 October

Within the photography world there has been debate as to the usefulness of camera clubs. As with all interest areas there are various levels of competence and skill from the beginner to the full-on expert. Most people join a club to gain more experience and to learn more about the hobby they are pursuing. However, there are good bad an indifferent standards within these clubs.

I have joined three such clubs since the around 2000/1. The first one was a small club, only around 10 members. There we held competitions for slide and prints. I entered a number of them but didn’t get anywhere. The last meeting I attended was appalling!

As we entered we laid out our print selections on a table at the rear of the room and handed in our slides to the guy doing the projector thing. Here is my entry for that completion …



In walks another member with a large portfolio case under his arm. The first thing he did was have a look at the entries already laid out and then chose which print he would enter from his portfolio.

Another member came in and laid out his prints and told the ‘supervisor’ how many prints he had. I was watching what was going on so when I saw him lay out his prints I went and had a look. Two were very grainy mono shots of the Coventry Canal that he had printed himself and had the horizontal marks that show the printer was running low on inks or the heads needed cleaning.

His third shot was a full colour shot of a Scandinavian harbour scene and was a lovely shot. I recognised the shot but couldn’t think where I seen it. Later I saw it in a holiday brochure. A couple of days after that I met the guy in town and asked how he had got in Norway. He said he’d never been there. I didn’t go back and I have never seen any of the members since then.

The next club was here in Dorktown; membership of around 20 and the competitions were organised much better. I left that club when we moved to Atherton, in Manchester. The photo club there was huge with a membership well of around 80. They even have their own club house. Each week were give a talk by visiting speaker or by a member. We held competitions and even had some teaching nights. Sadly I left there when we had to move back here to Dorktown in 2009.

There is another issue about clubs that I should perhaps mention. Let’s start with a slide I entered here in the club Dorktown …




This one I got when we lived in Bed’th and I was struck by the blue, green and white colours on a diagonal line. Now to my point here – judges! The guy that time said, ‘A nice enough image but it’s the sort of image we all were doing ten years ago.’ But if I had been a new comer, how would I know that everyone was doing those shots ten years ago? In the same completion one member had entered three prints, one of which won first place, another one didn’t get anywhere but the third one was even better than the first place shot in my view.

What did the judge say? ‘I’ve already chosen a train image so I shouldn’t really go for another one. What? To my mind if a shot is good enough to be placed then whether it’s a similar shot as another entry then so be it, it get’s placed. Again, how would a new photographer feel to have his shot written off like that?

Photo clubs then, are a mixed bag, not helped by judges who have closed minds. Join one if you want, but don’t expect perfection!

Even though I have posted two already, here’s today’s photo … 

One of five orchid shots I got the day.

And today’s funny …

Harry was sick and tired of being constantly badgered by his wife Barbara for spending so much time at the bar. Hoping it would help matters, Harry invited Barbara along with him. “So what would you like?” Harry cordially asked, as she took her seat next to him. “Oh I don’t know” Barbara replied, “I guess I’ll take the same thing as you.” “OK” said Harry to the bartender, “we’ll take two Johnny Walker’s on the rocks!” Barbara barely took a sip of the drink before she started gagging “Oh my gosh! Get me a cup of water! This stuff is horrible! How do you drink this garbage?” “See?” said Harry “and you think I come here just to have a good time?!“

No comments:

Post a Comment