Monday 27 October 2014

A twice yearly farce, reading and typos






27 October

I wonder just how many of you forgot to put your clocks back and hour on Saturday evening. I put my watch and bedside back but left the rest till later. Jan’s bedside clock is one of those clever ones that are linked to some sort of site which changes things on a regular basis. What that means of course is that we have at least clock that continuously shows the correct time. Enough of that!

Reading, and how much reading we do on a daily basis is next on me little list for burbling about. What brought that to mind was catching up on all my magazine reading last night while I was in bed. I finished off N-Photo, the Nikon dedicated mag and picked a Mark Billingham novel. I didn’t start reading straight away though because I began to try to work out just how much reading I do every day.

There’s the Dorktown News every day but on Saturday and the Dorktown Telegraph is delivered instead. An appointments diary needs to be read daily too. Then it’s down to the telly pages, websites, Facebook and Twitter, and don’t forget the reading of this and other blogs. Go to pub and I read the menu, especially if I haven’t been to that pub before.

What of road signs as we drive, again, especially if we are in an area where we haven’t been before. And don’t forget the reading of your various instruments on your dash board. Don’t forget the reading of the road itself which should all be doing as we drive, and all of this before we end up at work where the amount of reading is pretty much dependant on the job you do.

Whatever, such a list, as incomplete as it is, shows just how much we are all dependant on being able to read. That is one of the reasons why I despair over reading standards of a lot of kids these days. I used to read to our son Tom every night before bed time. But he doesn’t read much at all now. I tried reading to Kile but he’s not used to the idea and wouldn’t sit for it. He’s supposed to be reading the Harry Potter books but isn’t getting on with very well. Ah well … … …

So for today’s photo then … 

All jaws and teeth.

And today’s funny …

 

No comments:

Post a Comment